Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Major airline makes 'shockingly sexist' move

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Sep 2015, 07:44 AM Agree 0
Employers have come under fire after 130 flight attendants were grounded – for being overweight.
  • Johnny | 17 Sep 2015, 10:06 AM Agree 0
    Can someone explain to me how this is sexist? Its not discriminating against people based on gender. I don't think these idiots know what the word sexist means.
  • Laura | 18 Sep 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    Agreed - how is this sexist? Perhaps because discrimination due to weight isn't grounds for a legal claim, they're clutching at straws with the sexism claim?
  • Linda | 19 Sep 2015, 04:59 PM Agree 0
    How is this sexist? Oh, dear. If you read further into the article, you will see why. It says 'When we review a candidate, we look at the skin, teeth and height,”....“There should be no scars, acne, or any major marks on the face. In 2006, the airline grounded nine female flight attendants deemed overweight, claiming it could “impair agility required to perform the emergency functions.”

That's not sexist? It would appear that the airline is targeting its female flight attendants, on the spurious grounds that being overweight could impair agility in an emergency situation. What about the pilots? No prizes for guessing that most of them are male. It seems that non one is requiring that that they need agility to get out of an aircraft in an emergency and I'm sure that they have the same interest in clearing a burning plane. So, yes, this measure directed at 'overweight flight attendants' is clearly sexist, all to do with the appearance of the female staff.
  • Laura | 21 Sep 2015, 10:41 AM Agree 0
    So there are no male flight attendants employed at Air India? And these male flight attendants wouldn't be subject to the same 'skin, teeth, height' and weight checks? Still disagree that this is sexist. Weight-ist? Perhaps. Appearance-ist? Yes. Sexist? No. Anything that could be legally claimed as discrimination? Clearly not. And just because pilots weren't mentioned in this article doesn't mean you can make the assumption that they're not subject to the same candidate checks.

Have you ever seen an overweight flight attendant (male or female) on any airline? Not only would they have difficulty performing emergency functions in what is quite a confined space, they would have trouble making it up and down the narrow aisles and would disturb passengers sitting in the aisle seats. Some occupations simply require a certain degree of fitness and/or agility to perform some functions, and this is clearly a requirement in a flight attendant role - hardly 'spurious grounds'.
  • Obeytherules | 21 Sep 2015, 03:11 PM Agree 0
    What is "sexist" about this. I would assume fat people, both male and female, were affected. The rules are the rules and should be enforced!
Post a reply