Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lost in translation – does HR speak a different language?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Feb 2015, 07:39 AM Agree 0
Dreaded “HR speak” only hurts the industry, differing from the lingo of execs and the rest of the office. One HR pro says it’s time to change – here’s how.
  • Cathy Knight | 03 Feb 2015, 04:25 PM Agree 0
    Some good tips here for HR professionals, except we've been saying this for years and not a lot has changed within HR. It's time for HR to clearly identify its role strategically and operationally, and then to look inwardly to ensure it has the right capability to deliver into the future. Proactivity is one critical capability I don't see much of within HR. Another concern for me is reading here that HR needs to stop communicating basing judgements on "hunches". I would have thought that 'intuition' is a valued trait in 2015 especially given what we now know about how the brain works, noting that every brain is different, every brain operates uniquely based on a different set of life experiences. Why would we devalue the "hunch" when often it's all we've got to go on - it's a good starting point at the very least. People aren't machines - we don't and often can't always deliver reliable and consistent outcomes.
  • Ed Moss | 23 Feb 2015, 10:26 PM Agree 0
    Sorry folks, but I find HR overvalued, overstated, by and large dishonest and unfortunately, over here.

It is by far the most dysfunctional and headless-chickened department of any business.

In fact, HR can be summed up by its inventor, Frederick Winslow Taylor, who, because of failing eyesight, threw in the towel regarding studying law at Harvard to become, instead, an apprentice pattern-maker and machinist (Machinist? With failing eyesight?)
Post a reply