Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

‘Lollygate’ scientist in court case over unauthorised burger run

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Feb 2015, 07:59 AM Agree 0
The government deep space researcher renowned for causing ‘lollygate’ lost his claim for compensation recently – after he was reprimanded at work for feeding his Big Mac cravings.
  • Paul | 18 Feb 2015, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    Really - he was driving the Company car home ...

“He clearly knew that stopping at the McDonald's drive-through on his way home was a breach of the policy.

and he just stopped at McDonalds on the way past and was terminated. Is that it!

Hes better off out of there.
  • Amanda Rochford | 18 Feb 2015, 01:16 PM Agree 0
    Yes Paul, welcome to the Public Service !!

• Jack Hoffman | 18 Feb 2015, 01:54 PM Agree 0
    HC, you might have lost the plot!

Firstly an injury occurred in the workplace without a doubt. Two psychiatrists, one psychologist and Comcare (the insurer) have all agreed that an injury happened as a result of my employment. Finally the AAT conceded that I suffered an injury in the workplace.

Given that an injury happened as a direct result of my employment it is not unreasonable that I should seek compensation.

I don't have to justify my injury to you the uninformed audience. As it's none of your business and I don't care what you think

Insurance was denied by the AAT on the grounds that my employer the CSIRO was "reasonable", in other words; "reasonable administrative action applied in a reasonable manner".

Now my crime (reason to sack me) precisely is that on an authorized business trip (work to home) that I had breached the CSIRO's Transport Policies (there are two) by stopping at a McDonald's Drive-Thru on my direct route home. I drove past McDonald's every day so there was no detour as McDonald's was on the way of my authorized business trip.

My employer (a HR manager with a personal vendetta) had contended that I had breached a CSIRO Transport Policy which is a load of crap. The transport policy comes nowhere close to address a circumstance where an employee might stop a fleet vehicle on their direct authorized trip.

NO POLICY WAS EVER BREACHED !!!

The policy is simply silent about what occurred (stopping at Maccas). So how can an employer take sanctions by claiming an employee had breached the policy when the policy does not address the incident.

So here lies the shortcomings of our legal system in in particular the AAT (Australian Arbitration Tribunal).

The AAT (Deputy President Katherine Bean) had ruled against me emphasizing that I had breached my employers transport policy which is a load of lies to say the least.

I have made available significant internal CSIRO documents on my website to expose the toxic culture inside the CSIRO which expose what was really going on with my employer the CSIRO.

Sacked over a Big Mac
    http://sites.google.com/site/cdsccnasagov/

Victims of Bullying, Harassment, and Victimisation in the CSIRO
    This site will describe the toxic workplace culture in the CSIRO.
    http://victimsofcsiro.com/

OZloop
    Will illustrate the extent of abuse in the Australian public sector.
    http://ozloop.org/

Hoffman Vs Comcare - AAT decision
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/aat/2015/53.html

Most people unfamiliar with abusive and toxic workplace cultures that are pervasive in the CSIRO, the ATO or other parts of the APS have no concept of what is really going on and will look at my case at face value, but I can assure you that the issues are more complex and insidious than you might believe.

My employer (the vindictive HR manager) could not care the least about a work car stopping at McDonalds Drive-Thru for two minutes. What was really at issue was that my HR manager was looking for any reason to terminate my employment. Since nothing normal (theft, harassment, non performance, fraud and so on) presented itself my employer tried to take full advantage of the McDonald's incident.

Also be aware that the news media tries to distort and sensationalize the facts to create an interesting story.

Can't you see NASA, CSIRO and having a "loopy" technician sacked over a Big Mac having the makings of an interesting story?

The news media played it up because it sells newspapers.

This has nothing to do with Big Macs or the consumption of confectionery in the workplace. Instead it is all about a unfortunate employee who was a concerted target of mobbing and bullying in the workplace where the employer was so desperate to inflict their harm that they were so stupid to make a mountain out of a molehill to justify their behavior.

If anyone (HR professionals, academics, psychologists, etc) are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of my case then you can direct message me via twitter to @mrjhoffman and we can exchange phone numbers, etc.

I simply ask that you have an open mind. I'm quite happy to disclose all internal CSIRO documents as I believe this is in the public interest.

Then also apply common sense.

Is it a sackable offense for an employee that hadn't eaten all day who latter stops at McDonald's on his way home?
  • Jack Hoffman | 18 Feb 2015, 03:10 PM Agree 0

CSIRO and the abuse of power
    http://ozloop.org/profiles/blogs/csiro-and-the-abuse-of-power

The author of this article regarding "Sacked over a Big Mac" will give you a better perspective of what transpired at the CSIRO over the sacking of a NASA technician over a Big Mac.

Very compelling reading.

Highly recommended and compulsory reading.

Post a reply