Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Why working remotely sucks

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 Sep 2014, 11:29 AM Agree 0
Working remotely isn’t just about long lunches and flexible hours, argues Scott Hanselman, who says sometimes, it just plain sucks.
  • Sylvia | 19 Sep 2014, 01:55 PM Agree 0
    Interest article, but I have to disagree. I get more done remotely because there are no interruptions. My home office is well equipped, and I have loads and loads of natural light and am not locked up in some little cubicle in some office building.

I am constantly talking to managers and staff in all states of Australia via phone/email, and we also make time to share a bit of a joke or two.

I don't need to prove myself to anyone nor do I feel guilty that I'm not doing enough work to justify myself. My role is in HR, and I look after 14 properties Australia-wide. I have electronic files for all employees so I don't need to be in an office and can log into them from home.

Because our head office is small and spread across 3 locations it makes no sense for me to go in at all. I get a lot more interaction via phone and email.
  • jerome pineau | 20 Sep 2014, 04:16 AM Agree 0
    besides the feeling guilty part, I pretty much agree :)
  • Amanda Rochford | 22 Sep 2014, 11:02 AM Agree 0
    I can relate with the feeling guilty part. When offered the opportunity to work from home I knew that I would end up working much longer hours to 'prove' that I was earning my keep. So I opted to stay in the office. The other elements I would love ie the sunlight, the quiet, the relaxed atmosphere. They all sound good.
Post a reply