Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Ridiculous resume mistakes

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Aug 2014, 11:12 AM Agree 0
Nothing brings laughter to the hiring process like finding humorous errors in resumes. Here are some of the most hilarious and outrageous CV claims.
  • Deb | 08 Aug 2014, 12:13 PM Agree 0
    One I received yesterday had a 'past passed environment' instead of fast paced - spellcheck wins again.
  • Mardi | 08 Aug 2014, 12:21 PM Agree 0
    I once read a resume where a candidate was describing his leadership experience. He stated:
    "2 years ago, I joined the local football club. Last month, I was voted Club Precedent."
  • Kara Black | 08 Aug 2014, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    We had an applicant who professed she loved to touch people (sexual harassment or a genuine desire to make a difference?) and another who commented that his skills "as an animal clairvoyant and snake aficionado stood him in good stead to deal with staff at all levels"
  • HRQLD | 08 Aug 2014, 12:41 PM Agree 0
    I once had someone list their greatest career achievement as: Buying a multi-million dollar house and then went on to list they are expecting a salary of no less than $90K and that if we wanted him...that's what he would be willing to consider. The role was for an entry-level customer service rep.
  • Her Ladyship | 08 Aug 2014, 12:47 PM Agree 0
    I once reviewed a resume in the non profit sector which referred to a position in the government sector. Several times the candidate neglected to put the "L" in the word "public". Proving once again the importance of accurate proof-reading and the problems with relying just on spell-check!!
  • tlh27 | 08 Aug 2014, 02:25 PM Agree 0
    I once had a resume that stated, 'I have personality, I have a brain and I know how to use it, I believe only boring people get bored' and that she 'believes happy girls are the prettiest girls.' Hmmm
  • Ann22b | 08 Aug 2014, 04:24 PM Agree 0
    Years ago I worked for an airline, and had advertised for staff who could work in a high pressure environment. HR sent me one applicants letter (handwritten on scrap paper) that stated they knew all about the need to use moisturiser when flying in planes as high pressure makes your skin dry, therefore they were skilled at knowing how to work under pressure...
  • Sara | 11 Aug 2014, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    Very funny. Good for a Monday laugh. I had an applicant boast that their "atention to detale is second to noun" Hmmmm I'm thinking it may be second to a few.
  • KHR | 11 Aug 2014, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    I received an application (Word version) that still had mark ups and comments showing. Funny thing was that the comments included someone else's comments suggesting that certain language needed to be changed to suit Australian employers.
  • Amy | 11 Aug 2014, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    I was recruiting for a role as a Medical Emergency Travel Consultant and received an application from a candidate who said that because he had once been on a plane and had also been to hospital - he felt he was qualified for the position.
  • Noelene | 20 Aug 2014, 09:10 PM Agree 0
    I discourage people from writing their reasons for leaving a job on their Resume and recall someone stating that their reason for leaving was 'accidentally burnt the building down'.

• Michael | 21 Aug 2014, 10:15 AM Agree 0
    And there are the ads from 'name' recruiters inviting me to apply for "this highly sort after roll".
    It cuts two ways.
Post a reply