Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Ranger fired for dancing?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Jun 2014, 10:54 AM Agree 0
A park ranger claims a parent complaint about his dance moves lead to him being fired after seven years on the job. Watch his moves and see if you think it was justified.
  • Louise | 27 Jun 2014, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    Well that was a complete over-reaction. Maybe suggest he keeps his dancing to after hours, because I don't know if he needed to put on that show at work, but no need to fire him... unless of course, there is more to this than meets the eye. It's not offensive, it's clearly just dancing.
  • Kate | 27 Jun 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    Oh seriously!! People in America need to get a sense of humour ... and a life!! Whilst I appreciate there may be another side to the story (ie the employer's version of events) perhaps a warning not to perform certain moves in the future would have been sufficient. As the mother of a four year old, I would have no problem with him watching those dance moves.
  • caca | 27 Jun 2014, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    Covering their kids eyes? From what?
    This is by far better than seeing the type of stuff in music videos.
  • Jerry | 27 Jun 2014, 02:48 PM Agree 0
    @Kate - let's not generalise "people in America" because it's obviously just one instance.
    Imagine if this was posted and others said people in Australia need to get a sense of humour.

This is obviously a prude parent who hasn't watched tv possibly ever. These dance moves are perfectly fine and a far cry from the the type of provocative dancing/scenes you can see in music clips and shows.
  • Howard Whitton | 29 Jun 2014, 05:20 PM Agree 0
    Perhaps the complainant does not watch RAGE! - or any other pop music videos on TV...

This is yet another great example of why 'community standards' arae no guide for an employer taking serious action in the HR space
  • Helen | 01 Jul 2014, 01:09 PM Agree 0
    What is R Rated about that? Clearly an over reaction! The punishment does not fit the crime! He was just enjoying his job...Reinstate the poor guy!
  • Ronnie | 02 Jul 2014, 01:48 PM Agree 0
    There was nothing R rated about his dance and covering the child's eyes was ludicrous. Cartoons are worse. He should have received a warning if they didn't want him dancing however it appears from the story he has been 'dancing' for a long time and thinks it's entertaining. Personally I think he looked a bit silly but who cares. I would expect this to be overturned it it was in taken to the AIRC. Maybe the USA doesn't have such a fair system as we do in Aus.
    Two sides to every story I agree however if the story they are relying on is the dancing was provocative. No Way.
Post a reply