Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Let music be the food of productivity

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Oct 2014, 10:48 AM Agree 0
According to recent research, 90% of people perform better at work when listening to music – although your choice in genre could hinder productivity. Could the sound of silence be slowing down your workforce?
  • Dodie Gale | 27 Oct 2014, 12:56 AM Agree 0
    I can't believe you are treating this as proper research. This "study" of 26 participants was commissioned by the two main music licensing agencies - Performing Right Society (PRS) and Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL). They have a vested interest in trying to persuade businesses to play music at work so that they can collect millions of pounds in licence revenue. Just this week there was a report from Stanford University showing that 85% of teenagers perform simple tasks less well when distracted by music. This corroborates a study from Cardiff University in 2010 which showed that listening to music can interfere with short-term memory performance regardless of whether or not we like the music being played.
  • Amanda Rochford | 28 Oct 2014, 10:28 AM Agree 0
    Spot on Dodie. As an introvert I find music (even quiet music) a total distraction and having it played around the office would just make it so much more difficult for me to concentrate and produce work. There is already too much sensory input (for me) in the workplace with this open plan nonsense.
  • Renee_26 | 09 Apr 2015, 11:12 AM Agree 0
    I'm a cleaner, I work in a nursing home, now me listening to music while I work isn't a distraction. In fact it helps me stay focused on the tasks at hand and helps keep me in a better mood when things go wrong. I also find that it helps me stay at a steady pace so I can clean the entire nursing home in only 5hrs. I'm not talking about having music blearing so loud I can't hear people talking to me or asking questions when they walk by, nice easy listening is sometime what certain people need.
Post a reply