Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Hilarious HR hiring stories

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 01 Aug 2014, 09:57 AM Agree 0
As an HR professional, you’ve no doubt had some strange experiences in the interview room. Check out these tales of hijinks and hilarity.
  • Sara | 01 Aug 2014, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    During an interview we had an applicant give us an unusual response when asked how she would solve an issue. She said "Nike" When we asked what that meant, she said i "just do it". She then continued to answer most questions with the Nike response. It was how she would motivate her staff and also her own personal mantra. It was a little odd.
  • Martha | 01 Aug 2014, 02:35 PM Agree 0
    My most memorable resume contained the following text:

"I work three jobs and still manage to keep my wife satisfied"

Laughing out loud, I then referred to the referee list at the back of his resume to see if he had listed his wife...
  • Delia | 01 Aug 2014, 03:33 PM Agree 0
    We had a candidate who did extraordinary things at interview.
    1. He asked if he could remove his shoes, as he found he could answer questions better if he was in his socks.
    2. After the CEO asked him a couple of questions about his current employment role, he asked if he could consult his lawyer before answering, in case he was in breach of his contract. (The questions were general in nature).
    3. Asked if he could bring in his wife to look around the offices, so that she could have some input as to whether it was a suitable place for him to work.

It was all just a little bit odd; and to be frank far too difficult!

• Sonia King | 01 Aug 2014, 04:41 PM Agree 0
    During a volume recruitment process we conducted an ice breaker with the group. The ice breaker went like this: Please introduce yourself and tell us an interesting fun fact about you. One lady told us she had recently got a knew dog. We all thought that was cute and a nice story. She continued on to say: "So now i have to wear underwear to bed!" What the?
  • Lawrence | 01 Aug 2014, 07:10 PM Agree 0
    During an interview a candidate answered her phone and told the panel that it was another job offer?????really???......goodbye
  • Darren | 02 Aug 2014, 09:42 AM Agree 0
    20 or so years ago i was recruiting people for a charity (collectors) and one guy sat up and said he was about to have an epolectic fit. We cleared the furniture and he lay down on the floor and had the fit. He got up with a glazed look and walked out. Another time a young teenage girl - 13 and too young to collect - asked me for advice on what to do with her pregnancy. She had apparently adopted out her first one. It was an eye opening job there for sure.
  • Ann | 04 Aug 2014, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    Great stories guys but I am not sure whether they are "hilarious" or just plan scary
  • Kate | 04 Aug 2014, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    Many moons ago I worked for a software company that had a 98% male to female ratio. When interviewing a new potential receptionist I asked her what about our role or company was interesting to her. She told me she liked that we had so many guys working for us and she was hoping it's how she'd find a husband as she was working on a timeline to get married. She would have been about 18-20 max.
  • Delia | 04 Aug 2014, 11:41 AM Agree 0
    Kate - at least she was honest!
  • Ronnie | 04 Aug 2014, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    I was commencing an interview with a lady and I asked her to to give me a brief outline of what she had done in the past. Her answer was "well I used to shave but now I've got warts" indicating with her hand her underarms. We shared the floor with a beautician. I almost choked trying not to laugh as I pointed out the beautician as I queried if that was the location she wanted. She was not fazed at all but I am still laughing 20 years later.
  • Deb | 04 Aug 2014, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    Just this week we were trying to break the ice with a very nervous candidate. We asked her about her hobbies and she said "I wasn't expecting that question" and then "Am I allowed to talk about personal things". She and several others had nothing to contribute when asked if they knew anything about our company.
  • Gail | 05 Aug 2014, 04:09 PM Agree 0
    In another country I had interviewed someone for a position which required above average use of at least two of the official languages spoken in the country. The question came around as to which languages were spoken and how proficiently.
    Candidate smiled and said "I am fully bisexual"
  • Mardi | 06 Aug 2014, 02:34 PM Agree 0
    I once interviewed a male candidate who was bald when he arrived for the interview. Halfway through, he asked if he could go to the bathroom. When he came back, he was wearing a badly-fitting toupe. It looked like a mouse with rigor mortis. My colleague and I did a double-take because we hardly recognised him. The candidate looked very pleased with himself, as though the toupe had given him extra confidence to continue. I had to really struggle to complete the interview with a straight face.
Post a reply