Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Deleting emails for peaceful holidays

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Aug 2014, 10:41 AM Agree 0
Technology makes it hard to truly disconnect from work, so one company is offering employees the chance to take a break from their company email.
  • Sarah | 15 Aug 2014, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    I think this is a great idea - I just wonder how many people would elect not to take the idea up for fear they might 'miss something important' whilst they're away. I'm certainly not one of those people but I have a few colleagues who find it so hard to 'switch off' at all that I think would struggle with this concept. Great initiative - I hope it takes off so people can practice the art of truly switching off!
  • Deb | 18 Aug 2014, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    Why not just stop emails from going to their phones while they are away? In our system you just change the password and they no longer go through. Deleting emails seems dangerous
  • MM | 18 Aug 2014, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    Coming back from a week of leave to 300 unread emails is no fun (or to over 1000 when I had to have 3 weeks off after an operation).
    While I do worry that something important would be missed (e.g. I can't see a Government Department resending emails to someone else in the workplace), it would be really good if employers could (just like the old days) actually have someone do my work while I was away.
  • HC | 19 Aug 2014, 04:11 PM Agree 0
    I wish I had this last time I was away from the office! Not only would it have removed the pressure to check in, but it would also have redirected the emailer to a more appropriate person for a faster response.
Post a reply