Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lighter side: Bizarre employee excuses

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Aug 2014, 11:38 AM Agree 0
As an HR professional, you’ve probably heard it all when it comes to excuses from employees. But it turns out that just because they’re strange, it doesn’t mean they’re not true.
  • Bruce | 29 Aug 2014, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    My true excuse for being late to work that day was "I went out to the carport to hop in the car, only to find that a nearby, about 12-14 foot high and wide tree, had fallen over during night, right in front of my car, blocking its exit from the carport."
  • Renie | 01 Sep 2014, 12:59 PM Agree 0
    A young lady employee rang in with the Monday morning excuse that her iron had blown up, so she couldn't come to work in un-pressed clothing.

We took that with a grain of salt; and we were quite surprised when she came in on the Tuesday with a bad electrical burn on her arm, caused by the iron.
  • kevin | 02 Sep 2014, 11:30 AM Agree 0
    A lady rang to say she couldn't come to work because her power had gone out and she was unable to open the remote garage door. Attempts to describe the manual overload fell on deaf ears. She arrived late after the power came back on.
  • LT | 02 Sep 2014, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    I once had someone tell me that they couldn't come to work because their father had died. It wasn't till a month or so later that we found this to be untrue when speaking with the former employee's mother.
Post a reply