Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Legislation would ban after-work emails

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 07 Oct 2014, 08:53 AM Agree 0
A nation recognised as a global leader in workplace efficiency is now considering legislation that would make it illegal to email colleagues after 6pm.
  • JanS | 07 Oct 2014, 11:53 AM Agree 0
    Really? This is taking things a step too far. My husband leaves work at 3.30pm to pick up our son from school and then logs back in to complete the rest of his days work after 6pm. Laws such as this would jeopardise these types of flexible working arrangements. People need to take some responsibility for their work/life balance. For example I do not have my work email linked to my phone. Companies also need to respect the importance of work/life balance for their employees and not expect employees to respond to emails "after hours". Therefore I would not support a policy banning the use of emails after 6pm. I do however support Work/Life Balance Policies where the expectations of all parties are clearly outlined.
  • Sarah | 08 Oct 2014, 01:04 PM Agree 0
    I agree JanS this type of legislation would limit flexibility and I think that too would really hurt employee wellbeing and balance. I'm lucky to work for a great company where work/life balance is encouraged, promoted and truly lived (including flexibility) but I've also worked for many companies that refuse to recognise the importance of employee wellbeing and push all their staff to burnout through ridiculous expectations that they don't openly communicate but are so deep in the company culture that it will take some time to change. What can we do to address this?
  • New Young Professional | 09 Oct 2014, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    I agree, the idea behind it which is to promote a better work life balance is what we should be pushing, encouraging more workplaces to negotiate flexible work practices with their workers where possible.
Post a reply