Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Leadership insights from Australia's HR Champion of the Year

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Mar 2015, 08:12 AM Agree 0
Accenture Australia's chairman recently spoke at the annual National HR Summit, outlining the secrets to his leadership success.
  • Mel T | 24 Mar 2015, 04:37 PM Agree 0
    Interesting article. I do think that the authenticity/vulnerability/authority display is tougher for women to get right. I feel I seem to be doing too much of one or the other. I wonder if others (male or female) feel the same? Maybe that's part of the general challenge of leadership?
  • Amanda Rochford | 25 Mar 2015, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    Yes Mel, I can see that it may be more difficult for a woman to be authentic (and successful) in the workplace when the workplace is founded on attitudes, behaviours, and thought patterns that men exhibit and value more highly. Many successful women climb the corporate ladder and find themselves alone at the top. They have been successful in mirroring the male values but have not been entirely authentic (to their female self) and therefore may not have a group of followers. This happens to many men also but they are not being authentic for other reasons.

Vulnerability is for men, women would be called weak. Authority is for men, women would be classified as bossy.

While these perceptions are reducing, they are reducing at a glacial pace and that doesnt make it easy or simple for women in the workforce today.
Post a reply