Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Leadership insight: The forgotten leaders need your support!

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Sep 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Middle managers have the opportunity to directly influence the attitudes, behaviours and performance of a vast number of your staff overall - yet they are often left out of leadership development intiatives. Leonie Curtis-Kempnich asks why, and outlines what can be done about it
  • Bernie Althofer | 09 Sep 2010, 03:41 PM Agree 0
    There is little doubt in my mind that there are a large number of middle managers who are trying to do the right things and trying to do things right. However, if funding for learning and development is seen as a cost and not an investment in the short, medium and long term viability of an organisation, the middle managers may be forced to ''muddle'' on through the organisation. Statements that ''people are our most important asset'' hold little water in my mind if the people get little to know support to grow and learn how to be better managers. Expecting a cascading affect from the Board, through the Executive and putting up barriers by limiting access to learning opportunities can create an environment that leads ultimately to conflict, disharmony, low morale, low productivity and a raft of other negatives. Where managers are supported there can be a positive flow on effect that leads to increased performance and productivity, reduction in counter productive behaviours, improved reputation and brand, and increased viability. Learning and development is an investment, not a cost.
Post a reply