Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Leaders need to move from resignation to resilience

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 23 Sep 2009, 12:00 AM Agree 0
How do leaders create organisations that will emerge better than before the GFC? Leaders need to look beyond the tough times for opportunities in the current climate, keep an unwavering eye on their strategic objectives and use their values in decision making.
  • Ricky Nowak | 25 Sep 2009, 12:19 PM Agree 0
    , "Resilient leaders are able to look for the silver lining in any situation, which enables them to view the current economic crisis not as an impediment to growth but rather as an opportunity for their organisations." That is critical in moving through challenging times, but let us ask ourselves why does it take a crisis to sometimes look for opportunities or for us to really seeing the value of things when they are in front of us all the time anyway. Here’s what I mean...

When the bush fire inferno in early February wiped the financial crisis off the front pages, it changed our conversations and attitudes from the value of money to the value of human lives. It immersed us in stories far deeper and more compelling because it was close to home and we reached voluntarily and effortlessly into a mental place temporarily forgotten while consumed by the continuing shock of the next business disaster.

It demonstrated that we had not forgotten what was important, not forgotten about people, and that we did have time and the capacity to give and receive. I guess the hard part comes now as business is recovering and people are getting back to business as usual– how do we access that place again that enables us to bringing the right energy into the workplace and be responsible for creating the workplace that will reward us personally as well as professionally. Read my article Resilient Relationships at http://rickynowak.com/docs/ResilientRelationships.pdf
    http://www.rickynowak.com
  • Meiron Lees | 26 Sep 2009, 12:29 PM Agree 0
    The more resilient we are the less stress affects us and the more resilient our business is the less it will be impacted by the current environment.

Managing ourselves is the key determinant to how we feel and the way we impact others. Remaining optimistic and keeping stress at bay has become more relevant than ever in this turbulent environment.
    Resilient leadership is about instilling confidence, enthusiasm and optimism in the midst of uncertainty. To find out more about "Resilience Builders" take a look at the book D-Stress, Building Resilience in Challenging Times at www.innercents.com.au
Post a reply