Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lawyer claims “sexual” entertainment rife in Australian executive circles

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 Aug 2014, 12:07 PM Agree 0
Providing sexually-based entertainment for clients is still considered acceptable in a number of Australian businesses, according to a top lawyer. How can HR combat this culture?
  • caca | 05 Aug 2014, 12:56 PM Agree 0
    I'm always amazed that businesses would ever continue to provide this type of "entertainment" for a client.
    It creates so many possible risks that I can't imagine it to be worthwhile.
    The risk is not only sexual harassment but can extend to bullying - ie: family man/woman is told to bring client to strip club because of the client preference but can they say they feel bullied into participating yet this causes emotional stress within their marriage/personal life. How does the rest of the staff feel about this? Is the business promoting a viewpoint or an industry that is so controversial. Does it even belong or have anything to do with the client or workplace? Are there alternative venues less risque?
    I mean why would you even want to open yourself up to this.
  • Shane | 06 Aug 2014, 12:56 PM Agree 0
    Interesting the Mr Harmer talks about how such matters are kept out of the media given his comments in the Fin Review last week talking about how he involves a PR person and uses the media at the earliest opportunity when acting in harassment matters for individuals.
Post a reply