Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Latest union stoush leaves business scared stiff

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Violent scuffles with police, union paraphernalia likened to gang colours, and a disregard for Supreme Court orders – the latest union clash has business leaders scared stiff. What does HR need to know about unions?
  • Soozy | 30 Aug 2012, 05:09 PM Agree 0
    can you cite a real example of where wages went down as a result of union activity? Statistics I have seen indicate that unionised workplaces regularly have better wage outcomes. The last figure I remember was 8%. I don't have the figures to hand, but would be able to find them.
  • Soozy | 30 Aug 2012, 05:10 PM Agree 0
    oh and of course those fees are 100% tax deductible!
  • Michael Cosgrove | 31 Aug 2012, 07:32 AM Agree 0
    There is no need for the employer to talk to employees about unions at all. The key to mitigating the impact of unions is for employers to engage employees in meaningful discussions about their work, wages and conditions. The more you talk about a union the more it gets into employees heads that they may need to join one. The employer needs to position themselves as the key provider of IR information to employees so they have no reason to seek the assistance of the union at all.
Post a reply