Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Latest stats reveal ‘go away’ payments still rife

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 04 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Figures released by the Fair Work Commission (FWC) back up claims that all too often employers are left with no choice but to pay ‘go-away’ money to sacked workers, rather than endure the expense of arbitration.
  • R Pollock | 04 Apr 2013, 05:17 PM Agree 0
    Absolutely spot on but more so since the advent of 'Adverse Action' as an option for employees. Even when you think you have an airtight case, have all your paperwork in order and no way you can lose, unfortunately decisions go to the employee. No wonder employers take initiative and 'pay them to go'
  • Ross Jackson | 04 Apr 2013, 05:31 PM Agree 0
    Go away money is equally prevalent in adverse action claims, where it has got to the point that employers are afraid to performance mange anyone for fear of such claims (with their reverse onus of proof) and/or the usual cry of bullying and harassment.The effect on morale and productivity of seeing underperforming colleagues who are apparently untouchable or else paid large sums of money to go away is obvious. And there will be very few claims that the FWC can be fairly expected to "dismiss from the outset" without hearing evidence. Whilst proceeding further may be discouraged, it is another thing to actually dismiss the claim completely.
  • Richard Frazer | 05 Apr 2013, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    In my experience I can generally still identify poor management practice as the root of problems with employees that receive go away money. There are exceptions of course but if managers provided more role clarity and managed outcomes with a higher level of accountability and emotional intelligence from an earlier stage then I do think we would spend less time at Fair Work.
  • Debbie | 05 Apr 2013, 02:40 PM Agree 0
    I agree with R Pollack. We had someone dismissed during probation for violence towards a client (a disabled person) and he still won a $5,000 payment - when he shouldn't have been allowed to lodge a claim!
  • Linda | 15 Oct 2013, 01:29 PM Agree 0
    Having managed many of these types of claims for clients, even the best employers can come unstuck for not having a policy updated, forgetting to put something in writing and so on. Unless you dot every 'i' and cross every 't', a claim can get up and escalate to the next level. Until the law improves for businesses, I will continue to advise my clients to pay 'go-away' money as a better alternative to escalating the claim (and expense!) to the next level.
Post a reply