Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Lateness losses: tardy workers cost money

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
It’s easy to think 10 minutes is no big deal, and sometimes it isn’t, but if you have workers consistently flouting start times it could be costing your organisation in productivity.
  • MM | 10 Apr 2013, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    Don't forget that you also can't try to have it both ways - disciplining for "lateness" and in return giving no thanks/rewards/payment when that same person regularly works late or through their lunch break

Swings and roundabouts is often a good way of working - especially in an office environment when there would be no "catastrophe" attached to being a few minutes late (as compared to working in a shop that must open on time or lose customers).
  • Tony | 10 Apr 2013, 04:22 PM Agree 0
    What about all the time that people give for free - how much benefit does that give businesses?
  • MIke | 11 Apr 2013, 05:28 AM Agree 0
    Good will is the first thing that goes when Managers become inflexible in relation to start finish times - if lateness is consistent - Manage it - start them later
  • Amrita | 11 Apr 2013, 05:12 PM Agree 0
    we need to move away from counting minutes and activites and focussing on results. Is it reall a good investment of HR time to go thru the late register ? I think employee need to have clear deliverables and they should be tracked against that . What is to say an employee comes to work on time but takes 10 times more time to do the same job which can be done faster by someone else. Tracking hours is very old school and will not help employee engagement as well
  • Claire Ferrie | 11 Apr 2013, 05:17 PM Agree 0
    Working in a very flexible environment after leaving a business where lateness was very tightly managed I can safely say we dont actually have anyone who
    is habitually late! Treat people like professionals and they will act like professionals.
  • Dave | 12 Apr 2013, 09:37 AM Agree 0
    I agree you need to look a the whole picture. What is accepted practice? Wehat is the business need? What are the flexible work arrangements in place?

If we are committed to work-life balance we also need to look at the reasons for tardiness. We should try to be flexible or if it is a child/elder care issue causing late arrival, for example. Doing this builds trust and commitment.
Post a reply