Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landmark decision means employers must implement pay increase for 150,000 workers

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 02 Feb 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Fair Work Australia (FWA) announced yesterday that private-sector employers in the social and community services (SACS) industry will be hit with a wage increase requirement ranging from 19% to 41% to be phased in over the next eight years via the industry modern award.
  • allan bailey | 02 Feb 2012, 05:14 PM Agree 0
    very good decision, and long overdue
    if extra funding is required sobeit
    the people who need these services deserve the best, and so do their carers and support workers
    well done FWA !
    semi-retired HR Manager / Consultant
  • Mark | 02 Feb 2012, 06:07 PM Agree 0
    As an employer in the community sector I find this an extraordinarily negative article which focuses on the one dissenting Commissioner rather than the majority decision of the other five. It also ignores the overwhelming support for the case from sector employers and peak bodies and instead focuses on opposition from external bodies such as AIG. This sector (and therefore our society's most vulnerable members) is facing a staffing crisis which all parties acknowledge is caused by low wages resulting from historical gender inequality. VP Watson is correct in that the applicants didn't properly quantify this - but I'd argue that's a virtually impossible task. There will be some potentially adverse consequences from this decision, particularly if the State Govt reneges on it's obligation to adequately fund the community services that support all Australians. That's a moral decision for Govt though and not in itself a valid reason for denying pay equity.
Post a reply