Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Know Bull! puts the spotlight on workplace bullying

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Jun 2014, 11:07 AM Agree 0
It’s Know Bull! Day, Australia’s national workplace anti-bullying day. HC takes a look at what you can do to help banish bullying from the workplace.
  • Bernie Althofer | 03 Jun 2014, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    The discussions that occur in relation to workplace highlight the insidious nature and damage that it causes to individuals and organisations.

Unfortunately it does seem from various comments that some organisations only drag out their policy and procedure post event, or where some 'niggling' issues have been occurring over a period of time, an investigation has identified that 'everyone knew but no-one acted'.

It seems that whilst some organisations have been proactive in developing support networks, the workplace culture has remained largely unchanged.

At the same time, individual and organisational understanding about reasonable management actions can lead to confusion and perceptions of unfair treatment. Whilst some may perceive they are being bullied, the application of the reasonable management action is based on poor management and/or communication practices.

Organisations do need systems and processes in place to maintain currency of knowledge regarding trends and issues, along with Court, Commission and Tribunal decisions and findings.

The complex nature of the issues involved in workplace bullying do need to be unravelled and understood. In addition, organisations do need to consider those workplace hazards that contribute to environments where bullying is allowed or permitted to develop, grow and flourish.

Conducting annual 'sheep dip' presentations might provide some degree of 'comfort' i.e. tick the box to say training has been provided. However, I would suggest that workplace audits or assessments are required to test whether or not the policy and procedure is being implemented and applied in the manner intended or required.
Post a reply