Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

It’s just emotion, taking HR over

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Jan 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
When FedEx saw that their manager training needed improvement, they looked to focus on emotional intelligence. What can HR learn from this?
  • Alan Harrison | 30 Jan 2014, 11:17 AM Agree 0
    High level interpersonal skills and the ability to read people and respond to them in a considered manner have always been important for managers and in fact anyone who wants to harness the motivation and skills of other people. Given the massive effort put into understanding intelligence over many decades, the use of the term 'emotional intelligence' is questionable. If it is simply another way of communicating the importance of emotion in human cognition and action, this is not a revelation. But claiming that it is something new that people cannot do without, given the enormous variation in human capacities across cultures, is somewhat mischievous. Similarly attributing scepticism - the heart of science - to old age, does nothing for your cause. Considering the literature, I am yet to be convinced that the term 'emotional intelligence' adds anything but marketing grist to our understanding of human performance at work. At this stage it has no part in selection of employees, as employee performance has multitudinous antecedent factors. I need to see a lot more experimental work across cultures and comparisons with a whole plethora of interpersonal, networking, influencing, judgmental, decision making skills before supporting training in this 'new' skill.
  • Wendy Hodson | 30 Jan 2014, 04:13 PM Agree 0
    I object to the comment that the most resistance to discussions on the value of emotional intelligence come from the "baby boomers" in the workforce. Authentic emotional intelligence comes with life experience and maturity, personal insight and the ability to reflect on one's own behaviour. Understanding the impact of our behaviour on others is certainly not the preserve of the young.
Post a reply