Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is your workplace Fairtrade certified?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Sep 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
The amount of tea and coffee consumed in Australian workplaces each year is surely mind boggling – yet as more people come to realise that the vast majority of tea and coffee is sourced from developing economies, there are far reaching consequences to consider.
  • Jonathan | 19 Sep 2013, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    Fairtrade is good, but if you can find a roaster who uses direct trade coffee, you'll be doing even more good (and most likely getting a better quality coffee to boot).

This article explains the differences: http://www.dtcoffeeclub.com/Fair-Trade-versus-Direct-Trade-The-Sociological-Breakdown_b_4.html

Many of the specialty coffee roasters in Australia use direct trade (Mecca, Proud Mary, Five Senses, Veneziano, and Campos, to name a few).

• Grant | 20 Sep 2013, 08:43 AM Agree 0
    I am very committed to fairtrade and think this is a great initiative. I will stress one important distinction between fair trade and direct trade that makes me prefer fair trade and that is that fair trade ensures everyone who is working on that farm is a part of a cooperative that gains benefit from the reasonable pricing of their product. It is all measured against an audited and transparent standard. Direct trade is specifically with the owner of the farm and there are no guarantees that they are passing their increased profit on to their workers.
  • David | 20 Sep 2013, 04:13 PM Agree 0
    Having spent a number of years researching and working with communities that are certified fairtrade. I have found that the cost of compliance is bourne by the community while the profit is received by the middlemen. Buying beans and roasting in ustralia means the producers get very little and have restricted job opportunities. the only way to ensure communies benefit is to ensure value adding occurs in country and to buy from suppliers that ensure they encourage value adding within Country. that is why I buy from Tradewinds (tradewinds.org) a not for profit working with communites to supply tea and coffee at a fair price.
Post a reply