Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is workplace chauvinism almost dead?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 Nov 2015, 06:38 AM Agree 0
After Michelle Payne and her brother's historic Melbourne Cup victory on Tuesday, HC takes a look at the current state of diversity in Australian workplaces.
  • HR Dude | 05 Nov 2015, 11:18 AM Agree 0
    I'm not big on watching sport, but this year has certainly shown the highs and lows of females in sport. On the one hand we have seen the rise of Ronda Rousey and now Michelle Payne reach the highest levels of sport and do so in a fashion which is amazing. On the other hand we've seen the Matildas, Australia's most successful soccer team, fighting for a salary equivalent to minimum wage.

To answer the first question posed by this article: Yes it's alive, but it might be dying off.

The last few years have seen some pretty full on treatment of females in the political space, but like all change it's a rough ride. Tech companies still employ far fewer women, with bullying and bias claims rife. There are fewer women running big companies than men named John, William, Peter or James (there are a bunch of articles about this, go google it).

It is certainly a year of contrast.
  • Deb | 05 Nov 2015, 01:35 PM Agree 0
    No, it's not almost dead, or nearly dead or even thinking about dying. We continue to breath life into Chauvinism so long as pay for women is much less than for men. We also continue to breath life into it when we don't appoint women to Boards; when we don't have women appropriately represented in political parties...okay so I could go on but hopefully I've got the message across!
  • #likeagirl | 06 Nov 2015, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    Chauvinism is alive and well and Michelle Payne took a moment which could have easily been enjoyed for self indulgent celebration and instead, took the opportunity to challenge the industry which she clearly loves (and every workplace in Australia) to think better and do better in terms of equality. You only need to look at the #likeagirl campaign to see how disturbingly sexism is weaved into our existence through our environment and other influences, from a very young age.
Post a reply