HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is Uber sham contracting?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 May 2016, 10:35 AM Agree 0
As the ride-sharing giant faces a class action suit in the US, HC asks an Australian employment lawyer about the ins and outs of sham contracting.
  • JAD | 06 Jan 2017, 01:55 AM Agree 0
    I don't understand why drivers are demanding more fairer working conditions when they are paid 75% of the fee paid by the customers. If you were running your own business that relies on many many contractors providing the services, how are you supposed to pay for all of their expenses, entitlements and insurance premiums when they are only getting a small portion of the payment and the driver is getting most of it?

Shouldn't the decision factor in the pricing arrangement (% allocation between both parties)? Basically what these drivers are saying is, I don't like the Uber business model and I would prefer to be paid less but have Uber sort out my entitlements and pay my petrol etc. That's just not how the business model works. It's an innovative way of providing a service to benefit the community, if you don't like it then don't sign their contract!
Post a reply