Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is there such a thing as too much parental leave?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Aug 2014, 12:28 PM Agree 0
Parental leave is essential for keeping women in the workforce, but a study shows that generous leave policies may have a negative career impact.
  • ThisHRperson | 14 Aug 2014, 02:08 PM Agree 0
    I'm originally from the US where the 12 weeks I've always thought was ridiculous, however working here in AU I've seen the negative consequences from the business perspective when a parent takes 2 years off and then has to be accommodated even if skills/knowledge are now out of date or their flexible schedules put stress on the rest of the team. I've also seen it from the parent's perspective where they have taken off a period of time and will have difficulty entering at the same level.
    It would be good if there was more flexible schedules available as a culture rather than just for parents. It will create a more fair workplace (for those who do not have children) and provide more opportunity to stay involved with your career to balance parental duties.
    There's no easy answer however perhaps if companies themselves had an incentive to integrate their workplace in a better way.
    My workplace is very badly suited for flexible work schedules yet we try to accommodate it (normally to the detriment of the clients/team).
Post a reply