Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is the death of the appraisal inevitable?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jun 2015, 07:38 AM Agree 0
HC speaks to Seek’s HRD and a partner at PwC, both of whom have overhauled their performance management systems. Should your company follow suit?
  • Catherine Cahill | 17 Jun 2015, 01:50 PM Agree 0
    In my experience, the best Appraisals are opportunities for really good conversations - genuine two-way feedback. I have designed these Conversation Guides for many organisations, and in the far majority of cases, they increase motivation and understanding, and lead to better employee and manager performance. My recommendation is to simply rate as "competent", "requires improvement" or "exceeds expectations". Once again, these are used to check understanding, and to offer the chance to clarify expectations on both sides, and to clearly provide pathways for improvement. Numerical Ratings inevitably tie managers up in unnecessary arguments purely about the score - rather than actually talking about performance.
  • michael minns | 18 Jun 2015, 10:00 AM Agree 0
    They are a little late in recognising that Performance Appraisals have never worked and never will. However it is good to see that it is happening
    The only tangible change that Performance appraisals can achieve is to de-skill managers.
    To drive this message home in the year 2000 (15 years ago) I founded, along with a few like minded HR professionals, The Australasian Society for the Abolition of Performance Appraisals .
    Membership is free and you are expected to share the commitment to allowing managers to manage.
    Our research has revealed that there are actually grades of false consensus that vary as a function of the use of PA's i.e. ; are they used as a method of determining bonuses ,pay rises or promotion potential.
    I look forward to the continuing rejection of PA's in any form
  • Philippa Youngman | 28 Sep 2015, 02:00 PM Agree 0
    I would like to agree with Meahan.

Its horses for courses. Do what is right for your organisation and be careful that you are supporting the good leaders and managers of people and not letting the under-performing managers off the hook. Being a former Remuneration practitioner I find it amazing that there has not been more discussion from this area of the HR profession about the impact of abolishing performance outcomes because most companies appear to be still expecting to run with some form of merit based reward structure.

If we give managers discretion in relation to applying remuneration increases for staff, what will form the basis of those decisions? I am pretty confident that those that perceive (or know through discussion with their manager), that they are high performers, will consider their value to the organisation should be reflected in their remuneration. High performers out there ….what do you think? How can we evaluate the success or otherwise of our pay practices?

Post a reply