Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is the Australian HR profession a “pink ghetto”?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Aug 2016, 10:00 AM Agree 0
Are women overrepresented compared to men in the Australian HR industry? We spoke to the experts to find out
  • Eric Cooper FAHRI | 15 Aug 2016, 12:38 PM Agree 0
    I have the good fortune to have spent over 40 years in HR .The function was largely staffed by males. Some organisations did have a more diverse mix male/female however the percentages were opposite to that which exists today.HR Managers and Directors were mainly guys.
    Much of the change has emerged from the drive to have gender equity, the rise of Human Resource Degree and Masters courses and the growth of HR as a meaningful business contributor driven by legislation and compliance and law and employment relations making an interesting and challenging occupation,one of the best roles available .A huge increase in female HR graduates I believe is a key factor. Just attend the annual AHRI Conferences and count male attendees.Not a bad thing as capability and capacity to do the role is key.I think there are just so many talented females now in this sector. Again 40 years ago we did not care too much about what gender you were it was , at least in the major multinationals, how good you were at your job.The industrial relations scene has also dramatically changed with the reduction in,and amalgamation of,many Unions.This in turn has reduced the opportunities for Industrial Relations roles which also had a large male contingent.
    Its a changing world and HR has a much higher profile, and is an attractive career role.I also recall a study which revealed that females were better naturally at administrative tasks than males and HR at all levels has a high degree od Administration so another reason for success in HR. The opportunity is development to get these folk to the top team table .
  • HR Dude | 15 Aug 2016, 02:37 PM Agree 0
    I'd like to see another cut of this data. What roles do we see more women in within the broad spectrum of HR? Is it the 'soft and fluffy' that tends to have more women? What about industrial and employment relations?

Another question that instantly jumped out at me was the employment lifecycle for female employees. Is it a case that it is easier to manage family commitments in HR than the other business units? HR can be far less deadline orientated than some areas of a business (not without deadlines of course, just different). This might be a small pull, but overtime it concentrates more females in the sector. A similar effect occurs in some government departments, where we have much higher amounts of females than males.

I'd also be interested to know how many self-employed business consultants doing HR-like work are female. My guess would be far less than males.
  • Steve Rowe | 15 Aug 2016, 05:39 PM Agree 0
    Affirmative action in favour of women has been going on at the senior levels in HR for years. I would estimate, and I have had this confirmed by my search contacts, that at least 2 out of 3 of the larger generalist HR roles in corporate australia these days are effectively "women only". The flow is as follows: 1. Board/ CEO rightly embarassed about the lack of female representation in senior leadership - particularly in the listed space. 2. CEO (typically male) - expresses to headhunter a "strong preference" for a woman. 3. Headhunter, already looking at a market largely populated by women hardly bothers to approach male talent unless is a "wild card". 4. Another woman appointed to a senior HRD level. I am a passionate advocate for diversity and inclusion and gender balance in particular. But what's happening in top end HR is actually undermining the diversity cause, the women's cause and ultimately the credibility of HR. The buck though must stop with the "pale, stale, males" that initiate the recruitment in the first place.
  • CK | 16 Aug 2016, 02:23 AM Agree 0
    I only see a problem if men and women don't have an equal opportunity to enter the HR profession. Are men being systematically excluded from joining? I don't think so. If preference for whatever reason leads one gender to have more representation in a given profession than another, what's the big deal if there isn't a perfect 50/50 balance. Ultimately shouldn't the value the talent brings to the organization matter more than their biological sex?
    • RG | 25 Aug 2016, 12:39 PM Agree 0
      While I can see your point about preference, I think we also need to be careful to use this as a reason not to push for more gender diverse HR team. The same argument about preference has been said on women entering traditionally male-dominated professions like engineering and science. We do encourage women to consider these professions despite the perception that it is not what most women are interested in.
Post a reply