Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is outplacement dying?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Feb 2014, 10:06 AM Agree 0
Job cuts spiked in January, with huge layoffs for several retailers. Time will tell whether outplacement was worth the cost for them, but is it really worth it for you?
  • Margaret Sinclair | 11 Feb 2014, 01:26 PM Agree 0 are the only outplacement firm I am aware of that are proactive and have a business model around finding " all " affected staff new work. They provide monthly reports on amount of interviews , offers and acceptance stages for all our people. About time I say and long overdue. MS
  • Maite Baron - The Corporate Escape | 12 Feb 2014, 04:44 AM Agree 0
    Traditional outplacement services are dying because they are failing to support professionals in transition as they need. So most professionals don't even bother to take these services any longer.

At we don’t look to just ‘recreate the past’, but rather aim to ‘ignite an inner spirit of enterprise’ by developing entrepreneurial thinking, shifting mindsets, growing their emotional intelligence and building social capital so professionals and executives become much better equipped and ready for a future where being in work is being in business. We develop their skills and expand their options and that creates very different results that focusing in CV re-writing and job searching.

At we don’t just give people ‘some tools’ and push them automatically towards another job no matter what. Instead, we make sure that they identify the professional life that they actually want, and then help them to achieve it.

Unless professionals learn new skills and shift their thinking outplacement services will fail to prepare them for the future of work.
  • Bob Cooper | 12 Feb 2014, 08:14 AM Agree 0
    I beg to differ strongly with Sandra MCCartt. Those who receive outplacement support are at a decided advantage compared to those with no support whether the market is difficult or not. As a job applicant it is often the coaching and advice that the career consultant gives that makes the difference between shortlisting or not and then being that small % better prepared and presented than other candidates for the final selection.
    In regards to Margaret's comments, I think that it is great what Upsonar does. (and they are not the only one doing this). Unfortunately privacy policies and laws prevent many outplacement organisations revealing what is happening to the "affected staff" without the expressed permission of those staff. Many of the staff do not want their former employer to know what they are doing with their job hunting.
  • Tom Russell | 12 Feb 2014, 11:02 AM Agree 0
    I disagree with Sandra, the TX-based recruiter entirely. Outplacement services have been very successful, through the recession, for my company, and we've reported that. Certain industries are less inclined to provide outplacement, but the overall trend is not down.
Post a reply