Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is Google the new HR department?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Nov 2013, 12:14 AM Agree 0
Line managers are increasingly turning to Google for their information instead of the HR department, according to new research, but why?
  • HC | 27 Nov 2013, 01:41 PM Agree 0
    Ugh. I hate it when HR Directors are too aggressing.
  • Carol Shepherd | 27 Nov 2013, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    The main focus of our HR Advisory and training team is to " educate" our client managers so they can understand, implement, and monitor their own HR requirements/processes. Some hand holding to start off with, and as they gain experience and confidence, they're off. HR is then there to assist and coach etc as required. I would follow the same philosophy if I was the internal company HR resource
  • Al | 27 Nov 2013, 03:53 PM Agree 0
    Well said Carol - Part of HR's role in the business is to make life easier for Managers (and staff too). Hand holding for too long or not allowing Managers to make decisions is bad for the business not to mention the fact that HR has more productive ways to spend their time.
  • Pat from Brisbane | 27 Nov 2013, 04:30 PM Agree 0
    I hate it even more when some cowboy line manager makes a serious people-management decision without input from HR and turns it into a legal train wreck which we have to fix. Seriously, where do they get their HR advice? The Apprentice?
  • anon | 27 Nov 2013, 05:11 PM Agree 0
    At risk of offending my peers I think many HR professionals are there own worst enemy. Not allowing managers to make decisions and instead telling them
    how to run there business.
    A mentor of mine once said - advise and influence but in the end it's there decision and they need to make it.

In addition, understand there business! if you try to implement something that doesn't work in there business model they won't respect it - if you acknowledge both your expertise I've found they seek your advice out.
  • Sherrington | 28 Nov 2013, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    To Anon.

There = Their
  • Amit Singh | 28 Nov 2013, 04:40 PM Agree 0
    I am big fan of surveys and like all surveys this one (Business opinion on HR) also reveals some truth .. however reading too much might be dangerous ..
    If I run another survey to highlight how ineffective business managers are in people related in managing people, what you would get is even worse .. Here is a study (Anderson & Koilarry )
    1. percentage of business managers who are serious about people issues : 91%
    2. percentage of business managers who are serious about people issues even when there needs to be a trade off (small bits) in the profits : 9%
    Interestingly the 9 % were given feedback on being too people friendly and losing sight of the big picture ..
    you've got your answer : That's classical hypocrisy .. everyone loves talking about people issues in isolation.
  • Lindsay Allen | 29 Nov 2013, 12:45 AM Agree 0
    Amit - fascinating observation... very true in reality! I was an operational manager before I went into HR and have found that being able to talk 'the language of the business' is the single most effective way of building credibility with managers and senior teams.

More HR people need to spend time in the business, not just standing on the sidelines spouting 'best practice'. I agree with earlier comments - we have to offer meaningful, useful, practical advice and insight. We also have to be mindful of where our time and efforts are best spent in order to balance being accessible with equipping managers to deal with issues allowing us to support in more strategic, value adding ways.

Great debate!
  • Amanda Sterling | 29 Nov 2013, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on the critical point here. Managers are using technology to find the information they need.

If you're talking about empowering managers to seek out information themselves and make decisions, shouldn't we be encouraging them to seek out this information? Particularly if HR is spending too much time handholding. I see a lot of this discussion revolving around more advice, resources, education, input.

Now google might not necessarily be the best place to do that but the quote "teach a man to fish" springs to mind. Instead of holding their hand, would it not add better value if they are taught how to find and identify the right information? Social learning is on the rise, why not harness it? I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.
Post a reply