Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is a ‘culture of entitlement’ driving absenteeism?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Nov 2015, 10:23 AM Agree 0
A new report claims that Australian employers feel their employees have a sense of entitlement that is to blame for sickies.
  • Jo | 09 Nov 2015, 12:17 PM Agree 0
    I recall a discussion with a manager who was outraged by the number of Monday and Friday unplanned absences he noticed. He had a belief that this practice was rife. The data showed that approximately 40% of unplanned absences occurred on these two days. When I showed the manager this data, he took this as proof that he was right...until I pointed out that our business is only open Monday to Friday and that the two days in question actually represented 40% of the week. I post this because there is often a big difference in what people believe and what the relevant data may actually show.
  • michael minns | 09 Nov 2015, 12:20 PM Agree 0
    The culture of entitlement is a subset of an overall toxic workplace culture. What is needed is a change of attitude and definition. Sickpay is for sick people and is a benefit of employment not an entitlement. Any attempt to change the existing must start at the top
  • KOD | 09 Nov 2015, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    Given that most EBA's tend to have a provision for personal carer's leave of 10 days pa and it would appear from the article that employees are taking 8.6 days pa then that's 86% of their entitlement/accrual.

On this basis I am of the opinion that we should simply increase the annual pay by the equivalent amount.
    The benefit for staff would be that this would then be included in their penalty and overtime rates as well as superannuation.

Including it in salary would mean that employees would not be paid when they were absent but would need to manage their income to allow for such an event. At present the employer spends considerable effort managing absenteeism including recording and determining if the entitlement is paid or unpaid, obtaining evidence etc.

So lets simply increase productivity by giving our people 1.4 days of pay that they do not already take and making it their responsibility.

Now that's a unique concept in itself, one being "responsible for self".

It is my opinion that if employees would not be paid for an absence that absenteeism would reduce considerably. But that's just my opinion.
  • Jon | 10 Nov 2015, 12:37 PM Agree 0
    "Almost half of those surveyed said that members of their workforce had taken time off over the last year to deal with stress, anxiety or depression.
    However, researchers found that the most common reason given by staff for not attending work was care obligations – dealing with a sick child, partner, parent or other family member."

What effect does it have on productivity if people aren't managing these issues, be they for themselves or family? $3,000 per year is a lot cheaper than having to re-hire etc. I would love to see this perfect society where the reported billions in productivity losses for all number of reasons are actual realised. We might solve the problems of the world in a week!
  • Yossarian | 20 Nov 2015, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    I am so sick of hearing the $$$$ quoted in discussions about sick leave. A company does not lose $ in productivity. Nearly every place I have worked if you are away sick the work doesn't get done for you, it is sitting there waiting for your return. Typically staff and managers tend to then have to work a bit harder on their return to make up for the time off. The Net result being that Productivity isn't actually lost at all.

Sick Leave is an entitlement - a hard fought one. If a staff member is granted access to 10 days of leave per year for personal leave then I have no problem then using all 10 of those days. Even if a staff member is not "SICK" the fact that they felt such that they needed a day off means that perhaps the day was necessary anyway.

It is better for someone to be away for a day and come back reinvigorated instead of sitting at their desk all day not working to their full potential.
  • Simone | 23 Nov 2015, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    Radical idea, I love it! It's always irked me the inequity of sick leave. If u view it as an entitlement and take it all how is it then fair on the rest of the team to pick up the slack? There is also no incentive to manage your own wellness. As a staff member said to me who had consistently used every sick day accrued- if I'm sick I'm sick and I can't do anything about that!
Post a reply