Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Investigations - when to conduct internally or externally

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Feb 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
When assessing whether an investigation should be conducted internally or not, John Boardman recommends that organisations consider several key factors.
  • Bernie Althofer | 15 Feb 2012, 05:23 PM Agree 0
    Do you need a license to conduct workplace investigations?

Often I am confronted with these questions. This is an issue that organisations need to consider. In some cases, the nature of the allegation may require that an external investigator be engaged.

It is helpful to understand whether or not the investigator has previous experience in the particular area being investigated.

It is also important to know whether or not the investigator is required to hold a license, and whether or not that license is current.

Some workplace investigations are time consuming and involve a number of issues that may not have been identified when the initial allegation was made. Selecting an investigator can be time consuming so it is important to be proactive and identify providers who may be able to address organisational needs at short notice.

I do agree that the points raised by John are essential. Failing to treat the entire investigation process (from complaint to finalisation) seriously may result in adverse findings.
Post a reply