Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Inquiry says FIFO workers should sign good behaviour pacts

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Feb 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Have you had incidents of your FIFO workers not behaving themselves? According to a federal government inquiry, its time companies start considering "social contracts".
  • sandy | 14 Feb 2013, 03:40 PM Agree 0
    social contracts? Goodness who is coming up with this stuff. Employers already have codes of conduct and expectations included in the employees contracts of employment.
  • Julian | 14 Feb 2013, 04:45 PM Agree 0
    Agreed with Sanday. A social contract will do no more than a poolsign that says "Pool area closed after 10pm".

I feel there are much greater underlying issues with FIFO operations, such as family issues, infrastructure and affordable accomodation. Bad behaviour is not something unique to FIFO operations. A Saturday night out in Kings Cross, Melbourne or the Valley in Brisbane would be much worse than a night out in a country town with FIFO workers.
  • Behave | 18 Feb 2013, 08:25 AM Agree 0
    I have a mate who is a pilot for one of the regional carriers. Every flight he has at least one incident of a FIFO worker on the plane misbehaving. One a couple of occasions the plane has been met by the Federal police on the runway. I am certainly not begrudging miners the chance to wind down and let their hair out and have some fun after being stuck in a dirt pit for a few weeks......But common sense and acting like adults comes first.
  • Cath | 18 Feb 2013, 01:30 PM Agree 0
    I think companies need to start educating FIFO workers to have better coping strategies than drugs and alcohol.
    The issues of being away from their families, working long hours, shift work etc can have a significant impact to mental health.

Organisations should be held accountable for providing these type of work conditions, and start looking at what they are doing to help educate their employees on managing these lifestlye differences.
  • Mark Cassidy | 18 Feb 2013, 03:31 PM Agree 0
    Bad behaviour starts with bad culture and the only way to eliminate this is fix the culture first! Health and Wellbeing have been sad casualties to FIFO and DIDO operations and most organisations needs to put resources into the wellbeing of their workforce, such as addressing drugs, alcohol and mental health issues.
  • Mzala | 14 Mar 2013, 09:42 PM Agree 0
    Thanks Grylls. We are not a nanny nation but a free nation. We need the FIFO business and FIFO needs us. FIFO are already overloaded with rules. We must learn to tolerate.
  • MUZZA | 23 Apr 2013, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    sorry but "we must learn to tolerate" is just simply to easy to say, trying to impement steps to reduce anti-social behaviour is a battle that will never be won with alcohol seen as socially acceptable.
Post a reply