Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Implementing a performance management system? Avoid these mistakes...

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jun 2009, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Australian companies are increasingly adopting performance management systems to help optimise their workforces in this tough economy. Here are some tips on how to do it well - and the traps to avoid
  • Bernie Althofer | 25 Jun 2009, 02:39 PM Agree 0
    I agree with the comments made by Ian Wood. In many situations where I have spoken to individuals complaining about being bullied in workplace, they often identify two critical issues - job or position descriptions and performance management systems. Ian has identified the link between the two systems. In some organisations, there can be the potential to reward people for outcomes, and forget (probably unintentionally) the benefits of good performance management. Given that performance management is linked to so many other systems, it seems that it should be treated a 'mission critical' to make it work. Some people will argue they are busy and don't have time for 'performance management'. However, there are risks that a poorly managed or poorly implemented performance management system will have an impact on bottom line results. Performance management requires a commitment at many levels, but done well, it has many benefits.
  • Terry Beath | 29 Jun 2009, 08:57 AM Agree 0
    The model underlying many systems assumes a mechanistic system of performance indicators linking to organisational performance measures and objectives as if this is a linear system, which in all but the simplest cases surely can't be true?
    The desire to simplify the human system with mechanistic measures is understandable but the halo effect soon wears off. The time and effort of the system is then justified by activity measures, not outcome measures of the system.
Post a reply