Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR professionals lack IR skills

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Oct 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Do HR professionals have the IR skills required to navigate the complex landscape of industrial disputes? You told us a resounding ‘no’.
  • Michael Cosgrove | 30 Oct 2012, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    Reinforces what I have been saying for some time. HR practitioners main downfall is not knowing when to simply ask for assistance. As with any employee it is better to seek help, guidance or advice than continue to advocate from a weak position and make the situation worse. There are plenty of training courses available, and also coaching and mentoring programs.
  • Peter Spence | 09 Nov 2012, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for the insightful article and I agree with your key takeway message - acquiring awareness/skills in conflict management for HR is essential, but I would go further that it should be a focus of the HR function to develop these skill sets amongst the entire organisation's HC. As our the organisational workforce becomes more diverse, there is the risk of increased conflict - throw in the move toward more networked organisational forms that rely upon a negotiated order as their structure and it becomes obvious that conflict management, as part of wider negotiation and collaboration should become a core competency of the organisation to reduce the high costs of conflict.

Dispute Resolution Systems Design complemented by ongoing training/development and evaluation may be a small but valuable investment in comparison to the high costs of conflict.
  • Emma Sidney | 10 Dec 2012, 05:38 PM Agree 0
    As someone who sees HR professionals to discuss exactly this topic I have also found a need to offer assistance and structure even to larger businesses. Brand damage, unbudgetted costs and director vulnerability are the flip side of a lack of IR expertise.
Post a reply