Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR policy fails: Punished for being sick

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 25 Aug 2014, 11:16 AM Agree 0
This international HR blogger has harsh words for a corporate HR manager whose policy is doing more harm than good.
  • Dr. Murray Anderson, DBA | 25 Aug 2014, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    By far, a textbook example of how NOT to implement a policy. You indicate this was implemented by a "HR Pro"! I beg to differ.
  • Keith Warren | 25 Aug 2014, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    The policy is an abject failure in HR management. I would never want to work for this type of company. Do they compensate if you are half hour early or stay back an hour. What a weird employer. 0/10 not even I point
  • Gen Y HR Dude | 25 Aug 2014, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    That is a hilarious policy. Point systems should only be used to encourage people. I have to say, if I got a point every time I got in late I'd have reached 8 and been fired a long time ago. Do I get to reclaim my points by staying late?!

I do have one slight issue with this article, "too lenient and you risk serious abuse of the system" seems to insinuate that employees will take advantage of a system that isn't 'strict'. However, the movement to having flexible amounts of sick leave seems to contradict this. Instead, but treating your employees like adults with more autonomy and providing other measures of input (as I mentioned staying late, you could also include working on projects over the weekend, etc), then you have a situation where you empower employees. Very few people will actively take advantage of such systems, rather absenteeism is a reflection on poor management and motivation in most cases. By using more carrot and less stick you can have a much more motivated and productive workforce.
  • Anne-Marie Orrock | 25 Aug 2014, 01:46 PM Agree 0
    Seems indicative of deeper cultural issues that this policy is trying to band aid.
  • LH | 25 Aug 2014, 05:21 PM Agree 0
    Great way to improve productivity...not! We aren't evil people but cases like this doesn't help our cause!
  • CM | 26 Aug 2014, 10:55 AM Agree 0
    A perfect example of a TOXIC workplace. This policy is obviously based on the movie Horrible Bosses; or is it the other way around?
  • Guy | 26 Aug 2014, 12:22 PM Agree 0
    They probably also have timed toilet breaks !

It never ceases to amaze me the policies that some companies put in place to 'control' their workforce.
  • LT | 26 Aug 2014, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    And we wonder why HR practitioners are given a bum rap!!!!! This is ridiculous.
  • caca | 26 Aug 2014, 04:31 PM Agree 0
    This is very ridiculous. I almost wonder if this is a joke.
    Policies are guidelines to help managers and the business, not to create this type of issue where really logic should prevail.
  • Wendy | 26 Aug 2014, 05:28 PM Agree 0
    If this wasn't such a serious issue it would be laughable! Appalling policy.
  • TechieR | 29 Aug 2014, 05:30 PM Agree 0
    This is precisely the sort of work place you would want to be avoiding like the bubonic plague!
  • Renie | 01 Sep 2014, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    Agree with Caca - this has to be a joke!
Post a reply