Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR overlooks applicants with non-western names

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 May 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The Australian Human Rights Commission has said there is a growing trend of immigrants adopting Western names in the hope it will get them hired.
  • To agree or disagree | 15 May 2012, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    I work in a multicultural company, in fact I am the only 'Anglo' in it. However from talks with other people I can understand the reticence of some places to employ people with 'ethnic' sounding names, particularly Asian and Middle Eastern. Part of this stems from the desire to have people working for them who may have a better grasp of the English language and be easier to understand. How many times do you hear compliants from people frustrated by dealing with overseas call centre staff whom they cannot understand?
  • Not impressed | 15 May 2012, 02:43 PM Agree 0
    To agree or disagree, are you serious? Just because my parents gave me a name honouring my heritage/ethnicity does not mean that I have an inadequate grasp of the English language. Your ignorance is astounding.

To those of you who also have a difficult to pronounce name, rest assured that if what is being reported is true, we are better off not working for a company that lets people with this type of thinking make important recruitment decisions. Colonialism ended a long time ago for many of us and there is no reason why we should pay homage to our former colonial masters by having to change our names to “normal English” names so ignorant people can feel more comfortable. In fact if they are happy to make such a decision based on this factor alone, I am pretty sure our appearance will be off putting enough for them to make the working environment a place we most probably would not want to be in.
Post a reply