Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR manager hospitalised after attack

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Apr 2014, 10:23 AM Agree 0
The worst fears of HR managers around the world came true in Toronto last week when it's alleged that a disgruntled employee attacked his former managers (including the HR manager) just moments after being fired.
  • Brian Grace | 16 Apr 2014, 12:52 PM Agree 0
    No never but HR people must always be aware of the danger during termination procedures as well as disciplinary meetings.
  • Anne-Marie Orrock | 16 Apr 2014, 04:29 PM Agree 0
    The most aggravated a termination has got in my experience, is when the employee picked up the chair they were sitting in and threw it across the room. Luckily it hit the plaster wall and not the frosted glass walls. It surprised me, but I didn't feel I was going to be personally threatened. On another occasion I was in a regular team meeting with 3 other of my colleagues, when another female manager came bursting into the meeting room, in hot pursuit was a male staff member in an absolute rage. The female manager scrambled over the desk and cowered in the corner, in fear for her safety. You can imagine the look on the staff members face when he realised he had chased her into a room full of HR people. His full composure returned immediately.
  • Adam P | 17 Apr 2014, 11:31 AM Agree 0
    After a new employee young woman was given pay in lieu of notice, and she left very graciously, acknowledging that she wasn't happy in the role; her boy friend turned up fuming, and threw a fire extinguisher at the receptionist. Luckily it missed, being way too heavy to throw very far.
  • HB | 28 Apr 2014, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    Both my HR Officer and I have experienced differing levels of physical and verbal aggression from terminated employees and/or their partners in our careers. We had a case recently of serious threat. Due to previous incidents, we were concerned that this sort of response would occur in an upcoming performance/termination meeting being lead by the HR Officer. We put a security protocol in place to ensure her safety and prepared strategies to manage the situation, including a debrief afterwards. Unfortunately, the employee and partner lived up to expectation and the whole incident will now form part of an investigation and ongoing industrial dispute. In my experience, this type of reactive response seems more prevalent in some industries than others, but having a good process and safety protocols in place to support employees having to deliver termination outcomes will go a long way to ensuring their wellbeing.
Post a reply