Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR failing the long-term unemployed

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
With the number of long-term unemployed swelling by 80% over the past five years, one group representing non-profit job agencies is calling for a formal federal inquiry.
  • Shane Higgins | 18 Apr 2013, 03:47 PM Agree 0
    That almost a third of hiring managers think job seekers are unemployed for a reason is a sad indicment on the intellience and logic of this profession. And almost a quarter assuming that they probably weren't qualified. What garbage. CEO's/Boards and the like need to make sure that their hiring managers have an attitude that is best for their business which certainly does not include the above. Discrimination and bias without logic has no place in the recruitment world where appropriate processes are followed and decisions made.
    Hopefully this article will change some of that. Somehow I doubt it.
  • Wayne Pryor | 18 Apr 2013, 05:43 PM Agree 0
    Wayne Pryor • There doesn't need to be an enquiry of any sort there are plenty of people here on LinkedIn that have been saying for a very long time and continue to say that they can tell some HR ( Recruitment ) and the government right now what needs to be done.

1. minutes on Linkedin and the question is already well and truly answered it's the willingness of some HR ( Recruitment ) to accept what many people have been saying for a very long time needs to be done and the government to be willing to have the backbone to stand up for and enforce what needs to be done.

But is either likely to happen...........I very much doubt it remember that would involve people actually having to accept that they have to change their ways and governments NEVER hold any type of enquiry unless they already know the outcome or can manufacture the findings and the outcome that they want.

An enquiry into the long term unemployed will never happen it would be a huge waste of tax payers money, because that would actually mean that the government would have to admit that it has been fudging the unemployment figures for a very long time and telling untruths, they would also have to admit that the anti discrimination minister Susan Ryan and the employment minister Kate Ellis have not been doing their jobs, it would also require a huge systemic change in Center link not to mention the clean out of all the dead wood once again that will never happen and we all know that there is no way on earth that ANY government from either side is EVER going risk doing that it would be to politically unpopular.

It would be a political bomb shell, it would be letting the geni out of the bottle

Remember the old saying that governments of both sides use

If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question in the first place.

Sad but True.and so the long term unemployed numbers will continue to climb and continue to swell whilst some HR ( Recruitment ) and the entire government continues to look the other way and pretend that they are doing a great job and all is great in Australia,
  • Anita Lee | 19 Apr 2013, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    Assuming someone isn't qualified just because they are unemployed is a very big assumption. My experience with long term unemployed people was harrowing to say the least. I had 130 of them on my client list. The biggest problem I found?? Mental illness generated from BEING unemployed.
    Severe depression, self doubt/hate, severe lack of confidence, fear of the workplace (particularly in the case of redundancies, and sometimes dismissal) - so many negatives that were nearly impossible to erase in order for a person to go to an interview with confidence and able to sell them selves.
    It is a very very nasty and consuming web. A bit more compassion, a lot less assuming about people, and we would all be better off.
  • Michelle | 21 Apr 2013, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    'Unemployed for a reason', well I've been trying to solve the riddle in my case,but no luck yet. Not an alcoholic, drug addict, no criminal record, not aggressive or abusive, respect other cultures, minimal days/times off when working, do the job, have completed a course or 2 successfully,so can't be too stupid, understand and speak English well. So what is it? Only possible reasons I can come up with is that I'm 50 and a migrant(4 years). One wonders about the reasons people get employed when you see an employee of the Dep of Justice declare on a public bus that she will not sit next to people of a certain race.
  • MM | 22 Apr 2013, 02:34 PM Agree 0
    I think this also stems from an unwillingness on the part of companies to spend any time on training new employees - if you can't 110% hit the ground running, they don't want you.

e.g. If you don't have current working knowledge of a particular computer package on your resume, you will be overlooked - even if you have used many other similar packages and only need a few hours or 2 - 3 days to upskill to the new product.

If employers only ever hire people with exact current experience and won't look at anyone else, then no unemployed person is ever going to get a job.
  • Anonymous | 23 Apr 2013, 06:27 AM Agree 0
    Working in Employment Services no one cares if the Job Seeker wants training, it just "Get them into jobs" no one cares what the Job Seeker really wants to do ? The Australian Government - Federal needs to take interest in what the feedback from Job Seekers say, they survey Job Seekers and then survey the Company that holds the contract to deliver services to Job Seekers, they should believe the Job Seekers, one company gave Wage Subsidies to the CEO's partner's company....unethical.
  • Laura | 04 Jul 2013, 12:24 PM Agree 0
    Truth be told, if you see a resume with a long term period of unemployment, you do wonder what has happened. However this is easily rectified by adding what you've been doing ie:

Month Year - Month Year -
    Travelling to x countries
    or caring for family member, education, attempted to set up own business

It gives more dimension to an applicant. Otherwise it leaves room for assumptions to form.

• Ximena | 17 Nov 2013, 02:05 PM Agree 0
    Also remember that job applicants are required to have at least two referees on their resume. This is a tall order for a person who is long-term unemployed.

How applicants are able to overcome this hurdle is an impossible task.
Post a reply