Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR dilemma: Good deed vs company rules

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Jul 2014, 11:33 AM Agree 0
A US restaurant worker was fired for giving away food to people he believed were homeless, in violation of company policy. Would you take the same action?
  • Amanda Rochford | 30 Jul 2014, 12:08 PM Agree 0
    This is not a noble action by the employee. The food was not his to give away. Making a charitable donation on behalf of the company without their consent is stealing. I the employee wants to make a charitable donation then he has to pay for it himself, and the company should not have to ask for the payment. Passive agressive behaviour any way you look at it.
  • Suzanna Smith | 30 Jul 2014, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    You are kidding me? Firing someone for giving away a measly muffin or a cup of coffee? And how much do they throw away at the end of the day because it hasn't been sold I wonder?

If it was my company I would be developing a charity program to give away the unsold product and giving him the role of managing it ...

That is a company without a heart.
  • funergizers | 30 Jul 2014, 12:59 PM Agree 0
    What a great opportunity to engage both employees and customers gone to waste. Each staff member could be given a weekly allowance where they could randomly donate an item to a customer who they would like to give to. Both staff and customer loyalty bound to go through the roof!
  • Amanda Rochford | 30 Jul 2014, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    ooooh funergizers!! what a fantastic idea :)
  • Gary Taylor | 30 Jul 2014, 04:27 PM Agree 0
    I have some sympathy for the employer. Their business is food, and allowing staff to give it away without restrictions is tantamount to a Bank allowing its staff to give away money as they see fit. Also, Cracker Barrel customers would not like a line of homeless people coming in for handouts. Although generosity (with your employer's resources) sounds sweet, it does require a programme of sorts to ensure that friends are not receiving freebies, and that even donations of a muffin require some rules of the game.
  • caca | 31 Jul 2014, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    Although this is unfortunate I can understand the company perspective.
    It is not up to the host to decide when to give away any food. That is a decision that is normally left to management as it does effect their bottom line.
    The restaurant is not a charity or a government subsidized resource for the hungry, it is a business that sells food. Essentially this equates to stealing.
    Gary made a good comparison to the bank, would a teller be able to just give extra bills away because someone is needy? No and regardless of corporate responsibility at the end of the day - a business is there to make money and that's how employees have jobs and salaries.

• Dorothy Mabaso | 01 Aug 2014, 03:11 AM Agree 0
    This is a restaurant which is suppose to be selling what the employee is giving away for free and it is profit driven to pay his salary at the end of the month. The company was correct in dismissing him and this was setting a good precedence, making sure that other employees don't follow suit. Even though he did it out of his good heart, he should have done it out of his own pocket.
  • Sue nevin | 02 Aug 2014, 09:51 AM Agree 0
    Correct action was taken by terminating this employee. The company had followed their policy in disciplining him and as he had breached this policy 5 times he should have been aware of the consequences of his actions and was lucky he was given more than one warning. I like Gary's analogy about the bank. Perhaps the company should have a policy around left over food to ensure that this doesn't happen again.
Post a reply