Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

HR dilemma: do as you’re told, or take a stand?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 Apr 2014, 10:38 AM Agree 0
At some point in your career, you’re bound to be told to do something that you don’t agree with, like restructuring someone out of a job who shouldn’t have been in the role in the first place. How do you handle professional dilemmas?
  • Catherine | 28 Apr 2014, 01:23 PM Agree 0
    Some organisations test your ethics more than others. If you feel your values are constantly being challenged, it is unlikely that the company is ever going to be a good fit for you. There are of course, HR people who are happy to do anything to get the money. Only you can decide what is right for you. But this is something we need to discuss a lot more openly - so than k you for this article.
  • craig | 29 Apr 2014, 12:08 AM Agree 0
    Try having to explain to an 80yr old CEO whos is old school and just grew the company to a size where he is under a lot more compliance that if you decide to fire the pregnant girl there will be consequences. Some CEOs think they are above the law or would like to think so
  • Sarah | 30 Apr 2014, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    Many years ago whilst working in a sole HR role I was put in several situations where I felt I was going against my own morals and values. It didn't take me too long to realise that the company (and it's MD) were completely the wrong fit for me - and probably shouldn't bother having an HR function at all. I chose to resign with no other job to go to at the time but it's the best career move I've ever made. As we all know sometimes the story you're sold as a candidate in an interview process isn't reality. I was too naive to spot the warning signs back then.
  • Liz | 13 May 2014, 11:01 PM Agree 0
    If you do what is best for the company AND its people you can't go far wrong. If you do what is right and you are targetted, bullied or there are other cinsequences then those people do not have what is right for the company at heart - no matter their role. You must never break the law and must protect yourself with documentation and evidence of the risk managemt and advice you have given - don't put yourself in the firing line for those who willingly do the wrong thing. Please don't ever compromise your integrity or moral compass as at the end of the day you have to live with yourself. Sadly sometimes you do have to extricate yourself from certain organisations after trying to change things, trust me - someone will have noticed that you tried to help and that you truly did try to do the best thing in tge interests of the company, group and individual.
Post a reply