Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How will Productivity Commission’s inquiry affect employers?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 Feb 2015, 07:45 AM Agree 0
The biggest government review into workplace relations for decades is currently underway – HC outlines how its findings could affect your workplace.
  • Paul | 13 Feb 2015, 12:41 PM Agree 0
    Yes - small businesses are the driving force but why reduce penalty rates for employees.
    Consistently increasing rents are the biggest expense not a few extra dollars for those that sacrifice their Sundays.

If you reduce penalty rates then the Greedy Wolfs will be knockin harder at the door. Yes that’s right! “Landlords” i.e. the Westfield’s. Go take a look at their recent profits.

Go take a look at the small print in a lease agreement in these shopping centers. Lets not hit the employees that give up their Sundays to help his local struggling business pay the overpriced and forever increasing weekly rents.

• Kevin | 13 Feb 2015, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    The FWA 2009 comprises 1512 pages, of which 34 are dedicated to the National Employment Standards (NES). So 2.25% refers to the actual standards and 97.75% on how it is to be interpreted and powers of the Commission. If you don't believe we are too litigious then what other proof do you need. And to expect a cafe owner to know and comply with this is absolutely rediculous. We have lawyers makingthe laws and lawyers enforcing the laws so what chance has society at reducing this overload?
    Long Service Leave was for people in colonies to travel back to mother England. Sundays used to be off so you could go to church. Neither are appropriate to modern contemporary life but we apply them to our industrial system. When you consider most people get 20 days AL, 10 days sick leave, 10 days public holidays and 10 days LSL that is 10 weeks paid leave or 20% of the year. Then you want penalties on top of that. No wonder 60% is added to FTE's to determine the true cost of labour. We now pay penalties on weekends and then give employees additional leave. Why?
    Who knows where it will end? But until we realise we are living beyond our means then it will continue.
  • Amanda Rochford | 17 Feb 2015, 12:53 PM Agree 0
    Thats a strange way to look at an employment agreement. "When you consider most people get 20 days AL, 10 days sick leave, 10 days public holidays and 10 days LSL that is 10 weeks paid leave or 20% of the year. Then you want penalties on top of that."

This view believes that the employer owns 100% of your time and very graciously allows you to have 20% of it back.

Another way of looking at it is that a staffer contracts a % of their time to an employer for a certain amount of salary or wage and said salary is paid out over a year. So yes, if the employer wants to encroach on my free time I would most certainly expect additional compensation for that. Its called penalty rates.

If a staffer gets sick then they can claim up to 10 days but not more. Given that it is the workplace and the work that makes most people sick I dont think 10 days is over the top. And most businesses dont pay sick leave out of the kindness of their shrivelled little hearts. They pay sick leave because it is in their best interest to have the same employee return to work rather than have to recruit and train someone new.

Long service leave in the public service is 9 days per year (not 10) and due to legislative restrictions governing how you take the leave that includes the weekend so in reality it is 7 work days. Long Service Leave is earned when an employee has worked in the same organisation for over ten years. LSL is an acknowledgement that employee loyalty and value to the business is worth something.
  • Kevin | 17 Feb 2015, 03:53 PM Agree 0
    Amanda why did I know you were a public servant with all the expecations and entitlements and you are obviously at the operative level and have an axe to grind for all thos above you (staffers) you know the ones with the shrivelled hearts. I hope the next time you are on the sailing ship with the wind in your hair going back to mother England you don't travel on too many Sundays or public holidays or you would want penalty rates (oh I know public holidays are inclusive of the LSL (just like the sat and sun).
    You miss the main point - we have moved on but the system stays locked in the past. You want our latte on a Sunday but probably complain as to how much it cost or because your favourite place is closed (because the cannot afford to open). But that's life, and regulation and compliance like the FWA just gets obese. Not aimed at you, just your opinions.
Post a reply