Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How to ruin your HR career

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
So often we reflect on the latest, most up-to-date industry trends without any thought to look back. However, it pays to take stock of how far the profession has come. Are you stuck in the past?
  • Govind | 08 Apr 2013, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    I fully agree to the view above. Although you have mentioned it in short (more elaboration was needed) but you have given enough hints.
    HR professionals need to think that they are not the police department in current business phase.
    In my HR career I have seen different business environment and culture, sometime completely opposite to each other. HR need to think next step and think beyond the traditional way it is managed.
  • Gerardine Rudolophy | 09 Apr 2013, 03:45 PM Agree 0
    Short and to the point.

I would add a metaphor that Lois Frankel used to talk about gender differences.

She drew a football field - marking the lines. Men, she indicated, played right up to the touch line, women tended to play in a small area around the centre, worrying about going too close to finding themselves outside the playing field.

I described this to an L&D professional colleague recently; they added a saddening comment. They saw their HR department as spectators who had taken up camp in the centre of the playing field and were now interrupting the flow of the game.

This is harsh and not at all true of many HR practitioners. However, your post reminded me of this conversation.

That aside; I think we may have done a bit too much finger pointing and 'HR bashing' about our shortcomings. There has to be another way to support the development and growth of HR.

For me, this is why I have professional membership of AHRI and ensure I keep my continuous professional development activities up to date. Frustrating as it is, I can't change others...!
  • Salahudein Ibrahim | 09 Apr 2013, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    You are absolutely wright,when HR goes back to ice age everything will spoil,which will reflected in business performance and leads to misinterpretation of HR role and practice.
  • Fiifi Amissah | 09 Apr 2013, 06:42 PM Agree 0
    I believe that to practice as is said above these days means you do not READ ANY thing that passes around, even the documents that you are purporting to be approving/endorsing/signing.

I believe that being abreast with happenings of the day includes even listen to the concerns of your colleague manager/directors and sharing their management concerns on people - improving you people skills and advancing an advice here and there. These will prompt you to look further for more advice and with that will come other readings, not necessarily HR/HC but even general management and finance.
  • Nicole Le Maire | 12 Jul 2013, 08:14 PM Agree 0
    A great article. Sounds very familiar - it is one of the reasons why I left a senior HR Manager role. Some organisations (especially in the emerging markets) want HR to be exactly as described in this article. Yet, HR is so much more than a corporate spy or the disciplinarian :) You can read some of my non-traditional HR thinking on
  • Gerardine Rudolphy | 15 Jul 2013, 01:55 PM Agree 0
    Fiifi, I agree with you - and sadly I know people who "don't have the time to waste on that stuff - you [me] obviously don't have enough work to do" or "it's a standard letter, we have to use the template".

The notion of continuous improvement has been sadly absent in most places I've worked. I know there are centres of excellence out there, I just have to find them.

In the meantime, I will stay true to what I believe, model an alternative and endeavour to understand why others think and behave differently. Once I have worked this out, maybe I can find a common language with which to illuminate an alternative way.
  • Elaine Yin | 15 Jul 2013, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    It always surprises me that there are some shocking HR unProfessionals out there, giving HR such a bad name that part of my role is to convince people that not all HR are like that. One recent example, a HR director that allows bullying to continue at work, authorised an unwarranted performance management plan and when confronted by a lawyer engaged by the poor employee, had the case settled out of court. What a load of unnecessary work and stress for all parties involved.
Post a reply