Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How old is old when it comes to employees?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 May 2014, 10:50 AM Agree 0
With the pension age rising, there’s a government-backed push for Australian businesses to hire older workers. But will age prejudice get in the way?
  • Mary | 28 May 2014, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    I know many people aged 50 and above having great diffiuclty to secure employment in WA. After many year of sending out 100s of applicants and attending many interviews they finally gave up. There are no centrelink benefits for most all the men as their wives work and even though the wives don't earn big bucks they are still not entitled to any benefits or consession or any sort of assistance. It is a shame that the employment stats produced by the government is far from accurate as these catergory of unemployed people are not accounted for and it is like they do not exists at all.
  • Sylvia | 28 May 2014, 02:47 PM Agree 0
    Age discrimination is very much alive in Australia, and it's not going to go away any time soon. If the Human Rights Commission and the Government think otherwise, they've lost tough with reality.

What I'd like to know is why we have this horrendous WGEA (gender equality) report to submit every year. Whatever happened to the "merit system"? Plus there are all sort of standards imposed on employers, but not once do they touch upon age. Why isn't age reported on? We are never asked if we give any consideration to mature workers. I discussed the age discrimination issue with someone at the WGEA, and they told me they don't "handle" age issues. Wow! That's great, considering the government is now out to make everyone work till 70! Too bad if these people are sick and/or have special needs. No one seems to have thought this out either.

As a HR professional with almost 30 years' experience in the field, I've seen age discrimination get worse in the last 15 or so years. I'm 52 years old and I'm lucky to have a job (only because I've worked with my present boss in another company when I was much younger, and he gave me the opportunity to get my present role). I suffer from chronic health issues and need a lot of flexibility--somehow, I don't think a new employer would understand this. Not only that, even before I developed my current condition, I didn't even make it to interviews once I was past the age of 40! Very sad considering the amount of experience I have.
  • Ann-Marie | 28 May 2014, 04:18 PM Agree 0
    My personal view is that age is a number, but attitude is what ages a candidate.
    A 50+ year old who has kept up to date with changes in their field, is open in their thinking, keen to learn and has a positive outlook is a very attractive candidate to me.
    However, if a candidate presents at interview negatively, as a victim or with a 'woe is me' attitude, they won't get though. Any of the more mature candidates I have dealt with are either progressed or eliminated based on their attitude and ability. One of the longest interviews I have ever sat through was an older candidate who was made redundant from his job after 30 years and spent the whole time sledging his last employer, the outplacement service and two other companies who interviewed him, but didn't give him the job.

Two successfully appointed candidates in the mature group who immediately come to mind have been extremely positive, reliable and valuable employees.
Post a reply