Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Hiring dilemma: EQ vs IQ

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Sep 2014, 11:40 AM Agree 0
Emotional intelligence tests are becoming common hiring tools, but how much stock should HR put in the results? HC investigates.
  • CM | 03 Sep 2014, 01:57 PM Agree 0
    Using both EQ testing and behavioural based interviewing in the recruitment process is the ideal. In my experience it is important to use as many tools as possible to give you a well-rounded view of the candidate. After all, many candidates who are confident talkers do extremely well in interviews but can be lacking when they are expected to put into practice.
  • HR Dude | 04 Sep 2014, 09:47 AM Agree 0
    The more selection techniques the better. The only reason why I'd keep the number to 3-4 is because of the amount of stress it places on the candidate.

EQ is one of those things when I've seen effect someone's work time and time again. When someone comes up against a obstacle in the form of a person or set behaviour, it is an invaluable ability to be able to get that person on side with you.

While I don't use a set EQ test, I have use behavioural questions targeting attributes that show EQ, such as team work, conflict, etc. One thing I have noticed is that just like other attributes candidates have, it grows with experience and mentoring.
  • Joshua Freedman | 04 Sep 2014, 11:31 AM Agree 0
    I'd make sure that you're using a well validated tool, but also something simple. Our R&D team has been working on this process for years and found that Hiring Managers need a simple synthesis, looking at a complex EQ profile is too time consuming. However, there are only a couple of tools out there that provide a simple synthesis that is ALSO well validated.
Post a reply