Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Hiring difficulty set to become the norm

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Apr 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
If you’ve encountered hiring difficulties of late, you’re not alone – some 40% of business leaders have said it is taking three months longer to recruit staff than a year ago.
  • Bec | 24 Apr 2012, 02:47 PM Agree 0
    The fact that graduates and mature age workers are even seen by employers as "alternative labour sources" contributes much to the problem.
  • Mark Watson | 26 Apr 2012, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    These are not new jobs but attempts to attract people already in jobs to move, with the precarious economic situation no one is prepared to move.
    HR needs a whole new schema to break the process driven dogma that sees this cycle repeating.
  • Tom | 27 Apr 2012, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    I think the employers are setting unrealistic expectations in today's market. They need to look beyond specific sector-relevant experience and look more deeply into overall skills and capabilities which can be utilised in the job they are trying to fill. I'm looking for work and in Perth, the majority of employers are insisting on significant resources sector experience. Where do they get all these people from? Why can't they look at someone like me who has a raft of skills, attributes and insights that could be easily used on the job. I think they're just way too fussy...
  • Steve | 30 Apr 2012, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Tom, having been an employer in my own business for 18 years and recently sold, I find the excuse of seeking experienced and or skilled workers a difficult one. I understand the difficulty in filling a skilled professional role, however as for experience work ethic, attitude and willingness to learn can be a higher value proposition. Someone with a number of years experience may not be able to adapt to the changing market and technology.
Post a reply