Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Hiring contractors in 2012: The top five tips HR should know

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Matthew Franceschini explains the top five tips that you need to know to establish smooth running, profitable and enjoyable relationships with your white collar contractors in the year ahead.
  • John Walker | 08 Nov 2011, 03:18 PM Agree 0
    We have 16 IPros (I guess this is the new buzz word) working for our team and none of the above comments are new to us.
  • Shane Garrett | 08 Nov 2011, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    This is so true!
  • Emam Oddin | 08 Nov 2011, 04:53 PM Agree 0
    100% agree with the author.
  • Elaine McKenna | 09 Nov 2011, 12:09 AM Agree 0
    Great summary of the mind-set of those of us who keep helicoptering in, hit the ground running, add value and remain gracious under pressure when business requirements are re-scoped.
  • Rory Lawrence | 09 Nov 2011, 01:33 AM Agree 0
    I agree, agencies really could benefit from our experience as 'iPros'. Although some companies may already make the most of our knowledge, there's a great deal of companies that don't have a clue. For their own benefit (our own sanity I wish they see this).
  • Jeremy Lomman | 10 Nov 2011, 05:27 PM Agree 0
    Good point Rory. Many organisations fail to consider the preparation work required of them to get the most out of their interim manager ('IPro'). Consequently a lot of time (and money) can be wasted sorting out why the interim is there, instead of getting stuck into the assignment.
  • Ian Ewart | 17 Nov 2011, 09:12 PM Agree 0
    I agree with the author, I work because I want to not because I have to. I want the company that I am engaged by to succeed in the assignments I have been requested to complete. I take great personal pride in my involvement/engagement with personnel working on the site. I can bring a fresh insight to the business activity especially in HR management.
  • Corey Leuders | 21 Dec 2011, 04:06 PM Agree 0
    This article really crystalises the experiences of our company over the last 18months. From a HR perspective, Point 5 is particularly high on our agenda at the moment. Whilst recognising the "independant spirit" of professional contractors, we're also exploring ways of extending employee care programs and benefits to this employment group.
  • Matthew Franceschini | 21 Dec 2011, 05:39 PM Agree 0
    I just received today’s HC Online email. I am so thrilled to see that one of the articles I wrote “Hiring contractors in 2012: The top 5 tips HR should know” has made it to one of the most discussed topics! It is great to see the positive connotations associated with the contracting space and that people truly value this important demographic of the Australian workforce. We predict that the contract workforce will continue to grow and prosper in 2012. I look forward to sharing my observations and thoughts about the contracting space with you in the new year.
Post a reply