Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Hidden symbols in your workplace

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
What are the hidden symbols in your workplace, and why should they be recognised as key components of any cultural change management strategy? Tammy Tansley explains.
  • Nicole | 11 Nov 2011, 08:06 PM Agree 0
    Since I first came across this model, I have been more cognisant of these hidden elements of an organisational culture and they inform how I present my current company, for example, to external parties. But I wonder if many companies undertake such analysis?
  • Lee | 14 Nov 2011, 05:55 PM Agree 0
    I think organisations derive direction and energy from both formal and informal culture. I also believe oragnisations pay attention to the formal symbols, rituals , structures but often arent aware of and/or try to influence the informal cultural elements. Drawing on the iceberg principle, the formal is often only the veritable tip and the informal the mass and hidden bulk of the cultural influence.
  • Tammy Tansley | 15 Nov 2011, 10:07 PM Agree 0
    Lee/Nicole - I think often it is about awareness - open that door and organisations see culture in a completely different light.. Sometimes, it is about denial! And sometimes it is about the degree to which culture is perceived to be important (and therefore demanding of time and attention). Thanks for continuing the discussion.
Post a reply