HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Government to abolish 457 working visas

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Apr 2017, 02:34 PM Agree 0
  • | 18 Apr 2017, 03:03 PM Agree 0
    it's about time, I'm getting a bit board of handing off my skill set to O/S IT staff who are less skilled who do not have children or a mortgage. BTW does that mean the big 4 banks follow this rule ?
  • waiting | 18 Apr 2017, 05:30 PM Agree 0
    Bravo! I hope that this does extend to IT jobs. I'm so sick of roles going to cheaper "on shore" resources working under 457 visa arrangements.

It will be interesting to see how companies go about getting around the assessment of the 'skill shortage' for jobs they need onshore at cheaper 457 rates.

• NB | 18 Apr 2017, 08:42 PM Agree 0
    I think it should only be abolished for certain professions in particular medicine, law and engineering. It should still be open to all trades as we are experiencing labour shortages in this country. Turnbull needs to think it through before making any hasty decisions.
  • | 21 Apr 2017, 05:18 PM Agree 0
    This is going to have a knock on effect to everyone, not just people on 457's. So forget the Visa's for the moment, companies are going to have to pay considerably more now to get 'good' resources to fill positions because there will be more competition in the market trying to get these good resources. So the Government (which is a notoriously low payer anyway) are now going to have to raise there pay rates considerably or risk loosing there contracting workforce.

There will be less budget in the pot to take on those extra resources as well meaning less jobs around for people anyway.
Post a reply