Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Government agencies failing to manage performance

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Dec 2014, 10:13 AM Agree 0
In his Annual Address to the Public Sector, the retiring Public Service Commissioner recently addressed the issue of poor performance management within government agencies.
  • David | 17 Dec 2014, 12:31 PM Agree 0
    Is the issue of managing under-performance in the APS that different to other large corporations? This is an issue typically caused by a lack of managerial courage at the top and culture. Ironically, it will drive good performers out (probably 82% in this case) & make organisational performance decay
  • Michael | 17 Dec 2014, 04:55 PM Agree 0
    I agree with David. Cultural change needs to start at the top and work it's way down.
    Maybe select managers who have the ability to address the issues.
  • Con Sotidis | 17 Dec 2014, 05:16 PM Agree 0
    You need to understand the culture of the APS before trying to look at solutions for under performance in the APS. Traditionally an APS job has been a job for life and thus under performance was never an issue - as in not discussed or mentioned. Whether you performed or not there were no consequences. The other issue is that due to the structure of the Public Service and the relevant acts that govern such matters, managing under performance takes a lot of energy, effort and resilience from a direct manager sometimes with little to no support from others in the organisation. Hopefully Sedgwick's observations will be picked up by new APSC Commissioner Lloyd and some purposeful and direct support on the ground will be provided to those who are prepared to take on the task of managing under performance in the APS.
  • Tracy terrill | 18 Dec 2014, 01:56 AM Agree 0
    The main problem is that management are quite often incompetent and have no idea what is going on with staff. There is little or no leadership or support as this May conflict with the desperate scramble up the ladder to the waiting group of egotists.
  • Jenny | 18 Dec 2014, 09:05 AM Agree 0
    Managing poor performance & bad workplace behaviour is HARD WORK, anywhere. It requires skill, commitment, resilience & great support from HR & management. (This is where HR really add value)

Managers are naturally concerned about the time commitment, of being accused of bullying & harassment, of having staff lodge workers comp. claims and claims in F.W.A. I understand those concerns but in my view that is short term, one dimensional thinking.

Employees who under-perform or behave badly in the workplace cost your business customers/contracts and therefore income in the short & long term. They damage your brand and reputation. They undermine your management team and bring down staff morale. They are poison to the culture you are trying to achieve. For these reasons alone (there are many more!) it’s worth the time & effort to manage poor performance.

Con makes valid points in regard to the culture in the Public Sector, however, that is slowly starting to change - very few people are left with the illusion of a 'job for life' now.
  • Deb | 18 Dec 2014, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    I worked in the APS for 8 years. During that time it was normal for middle managers to be promoted for incompetence (move them to where they would do less damage)
  • Dave | 18 Dec 2014, 05:29 PM Agree 0
    Enough of the manager / public sector bashing. There have been significant impediments in the recent past when undertaking performance management which has not helped this process. The 760 redundancies may also be a factor as this number has increased markedly.
Post a reply