Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Got a name like Wojewodzic? Sorry, no promotion

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 02 Oct 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
People with easy to pronounce names win friends and favour in the workplace, a new study has found.
  • Naomi Calligaro | 23 Feb 2012, 07:53 PM Agree 0
    I was never aware of my unusual name causing me any problems in the workplace or elsewhere, other than people sometimes misspelling or mispronouncing it - and that does not particularly bother me, as I know that my name is difficult for people and they are doing their best.

I find that people have appreciated my making light of their misspellings and mispronunciations of my name, and the fact that we could share a chuckle over the matter turned a potential negative into an actual positive.

One advantage with having an unusual name is that people tend to remember you, so, if you have talent, it is my experience that having an unusual name can actually be a plus.

The singer Engelbert Humperdinck was actually born Arnold George Dorsey. He changed his name specifically to draw peoples attention to him professionally. Changing his name from one which was fairly straightforward to one which was exotic and challenged people both in pronouncing it and spelling it, raised him from being a singer with a stagnating singing career, to an international star!

I don’t doubt that there are occasions when names which are difficult to pronounce and spell will result in some negative feelings towards the holder of the name. However, I would like to encourage everyone who has an unusual name to be proud of their name and proud of being different, to make light of peoples misspellings and mispronunciations of it, and to use these situations as an opportunity to have a chuckle with people about the name and bond with them.

Most people feel better after sharing a chuckle.

Vive la difference!
  • Nic | 02 Oct 2013, 03:05 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Naomi, I have struggled with people mispronouncing my christian name since primary school, hence shortening it to assist people, and I have found people tend to remember you once you have pronounced your name correctly for them.
    It has never hindered my career, and sometimes been a great conversation starter with new work colleagues.
Post a reply